PDA

View Full Version : detritus in sump

CeeGee
02/20/2006, 07:10 PM
I was wondering how often you guys vacuum the detritus out of your sump. Also how do you filter the detritus out of the water and put the water back into the tank. I recently installed a sump and a ASM G3 skimmer with all the mods and I have quite a bit of sediment in the sump after less than two weeks in operation.

I am having what I assume to be a phosphate problem as my SPS corals are browning. I am using salifert test kits and have a reading of 0 on phosphate (which I suspect is wrong) and a reading of 0 on nitrate.

I am running a SSB and am wondering how to keep it clean so my SPS will color up.

I am running HO T5's (4 X 39 watt is all I can fit above my current tank) if that helps any.

Thanks,
C.G.

minimalist
02/20/2006, 07:13 PM
Calcium, Alkalinity, and tank size?

jsweir
02/20/2006, 07:47 PM
I clean mine when I do water changes each week. I just use a powerhead with a hose attached to pump out the water. That way I can vaccuum all the detrius out. You might also try filter socks to catch most of the stuff. Just remember to change them often.

Julio
02/20/2006, 07:51 PM
just vacum your sump when you do water changes, i normally use filter socks on the overflow drains.

XeniaMania
02/20/2006, 08:16 PM
Same here, filter socks and a fine net. I use the net to scoop it out and the filter socks catches watever's in the water already. Then I take the sock out and powerhose it outside to clean it. Oh yeah, the sock is flipped inside out when I do that.

CeeGee
02/20/2006, 08:29 PM
alk 9-10
calcium 400-430

38 gallon display tank w a 40 breeder sump/fuge

ASM G3 skimmer with recirc and gate valve mods skimming pretty wet (tea looking skimmate).
The tank has ran skimmerless for almost a year and I added the sump and skimmer about two weeks ago.

So you guys just leave that stuff in there until you do a water change? I assume you change water weekly if that is the case. Can you guy elaborate.

jsweir
02/20/2006, 08:43 PM
I have a weekly water change of about 14 gallons, but I change my sock everyday.

fishdoc11
02/20/2006, 10:38 PM
I blow of my rocks once a week (usually) with a sock in place and remove it later that day. I try to siphon my sump out every two weeks or so, don't allways get to it. You still need that chaeto? I gave some away this week but I'm sure I can come up with some more:)
Chris

CeeGee
02/20/2006, 11:46 PM
fishdoc11,

Just returned your pm.