PDA

View Full Version : refugium design

mario22582
02/20/2006, 07:35 PM
I'm currently doing a bit of research as to how to build a fuge properly. I came up with this design. Let me know what you guys think and if you see anything that needs to be added or removed. Thanks guys

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b199/mario22582/fugefinalcopy.jpg

bertoni
02/20/2006, 09:25 PM
That looks fairly reasonable to me, although you might want to add a gate valve to control how much gets dumped into the refugium, if that's why you have that T joint.

The refugium area is only 7 g, but that might be fine. How big is the tank for this setup?

Dubbin1
02/20/2006, 09:34 PM
That is pretty much how I have my sump set up but you will also want to include baffles coming from the fug area.. IMO you do not need the rounded edges on the baffles. When my return level gets low it is still very quiet and makes no splashing noise. You will want to add a couple valves in the lines going to the fug and sump areas. I would also make sure that the amount of water in the return area is not enough to over fill your tank just in case you loose siphon from the overflow.

Bugs825
02/20/2006, 10:11 PM
Why have 2 chambers for the sump/fuge? I have mine setup so that the drain tube dumps into an area with only rock for the sump, then baffled to the refuge with macros, then baffled to the return pump. Just seems like overkill to me to double the work.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/3795/73180refugium.jpg
JMO
Nathan

Dubbin1
02/20/2006, 10:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6789994#post6789994 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bugs825
Why have 2 chambers for the sump/fuge? I have mine setup so that the drain tube dumps into an area with only rock for the sump, then baffled to the refuge with macros, then baffled to the return pump. Just seems like overkill to me to double the work.

JMO
Nathan

Nathan you also have 3 seperate chambers ;) (sump/fug/return) If you look at his drawing you will see that he is leaving room for a skimmer in the sump area.

squirmy
02/21/2006, 04:32 PM
with the 3 stages, you can control how much water flows through the skimmer and refuge.