PDA

View Full Version : Dead Anemone

Lpabsolute
02/20/2006, 07:52 PM
My bubble anemone just got sucked up in my powerhead and died. he is now all over my tank. I picked up all of the large pieces. Will this hurt anything in my tank? Should i do a water change?

mjkn2
02/20/2006, 08:08 PM
Just get as much out has you can. Test and see if you how your water quality is. There is a good posiblity that it could go up.

reefwick
02/20/2006, 08:14 PM
I've read about this exact situation ending in a nuke of the tank. Not trying to freak you out but keep a very close eye on your parameters and inhabitants. Anemones have toxins they release when they die.

jeffbrig
02/20/2006, 09:04 PM
My RBTA split recently, and one of the halves decided to play with a Tunze Stream. Little bits of anemone tentacles all over the tank. The entire oral disc was gone, just a bit of the stump remained intact. I siphoned out the visible piles, and removed what was left of the base. It had ZERO effect on my 250g tank. The remaining anemone, corals, and fish never showed any signs of discomfort, nor did I measure any ammonia at any point. I skim wet and I keep carbon in the sump 24/7.

Lpabsolute
02/20/2006, 10:25 PM
jeffbrig Thanks for the insite.

hdyoung
02/21/2006, 10:05 AM
I had a large 8-10" anemone die and disintegrate while I was on vacation. Ouch, talk about the worst combination of events.

Thankfully it seems that there were no horrible effects. I came home and the amemone was completely gone, there was red slime in the tank, the skimmers had gone nutz and were full, and my cheato was growing like crazy. Aside from that there was no noticeable effect on water parameters. My system is about 150 gallons total volume.

The red slime has been around for about 6 weeks now. I have a shallow sand bed and last week I siphoned most of the sand out and washed it multiple times with SW, dumping the SW each time. Now, the red slime seems to be clearing up.