PDA

View Full Version : Maximas seasonal?

XeniaMania
02/21/2006, 02:21 AM
I've been wanting to add a maxima to my tank, however, I don't see them anywhere in SoCali. Everywhere I go, it's just Crocea, Crocea, Crocea...Derasa..:D Are they out of season, which I don't ever recall experiencing before.

johnvu713
02/21/2006, 05:14 AM
youre lucky to find derasa...here in houston that's a rare sight nowaday.

Don Berry
02/21/2006, 07:38 AM
Maximas don't seem to be as common as Croceas, but I still have seen a fair amount here in the Chicago Area lately.

XeniaMania
02/21/2006, 09:37 AM
Then they're just not in Cali! ***! LOL

Peabody
02/21/2006, 12:25 PM
There's a bit of a maxima "shortage" nowadays. But killer croceas are everywhere. Just 2-3 years ago it was the exact opposite. Don't worry, soon enough will be flooded with maximas again.

Meloco14
02/21/2006, 12:53 PM
Yea, I heard the shortage is because a few years ago demand exploded and people bought up all the maximas, even the babies. So as a result the clam farms had very few babies to grow out to the larger selling size. So it will take a couple years to grow enough maxima's to a good selling size. Chances are they are growing a bunch of maxima's because of the huge demand that existed and sometime soon the market will just be flooded with more maximas then people will want to buy. In any case, just be patient and they will show up eventually.

XeniaMania
02/21/2006, 01:01 PM
Yeah..good point. Croceas are at very attractive prices. Guess it's just the ebb and flow of this market.

Peabody
02/21/2006, 01:36 PM
Exactly. There hasn't been a maxima I've seen in the New Orleans area for I don't know...8 months or longer? (Nothing to do with Katrina). But I've seen 3 or 4 DOZEN amazing croceas.

I remember about 2 years ago there were amazing little 2 inch maximas all over the net and local stores....I bet the market just got wiped clean and we are waiting for the next batch to "grow up" some.