PDA

View Full Version : aquatraders fish tank

pulpol
02/21/2006, 08:57 AM
has anybody bought a fish tank from aquatraders in san bruno? are the tanks reliable? they have a 150g tank & stand for $400 am thingking of getting it but i wanna find out first if anybody had any bad experience with their fish tanks(leaks) thanks

pulpol
02/21/2006, 08:59 AM
it's a glass tank

Skorpinok
02/21/2006, 09:26 AM
I've bought in the past - when they were call Fish 99 and the tank was called JEBO, now it's called odyssea - I know that It's just a regular all glass including the bottom. So you could drill it if you wanted to. A friend brought it from me when I bought the 65g tank.

He's had the tank now for about 2years and so far so good - no leaks or any problems with it. I had it for a year and I did now have any problems with it as well.

Those guy's change their name like changing your pants. Everytime the move, they have a new name. ..:rolleyes:

HTH

sfsuphysics
02/21/2006, 09:50 AM
They do that for legal reasons To-Arbitrate, to duck out of all the fines that the city imposes on them, and being as the city's government is pretty damn stupid they change the owner on the paperwork to whomever employee is handy, so no issues.

I personally hate that place, not so much for their goods or livestock but because they always have a huge semi trailer parked halfway into the street all the time!

jedininja
02/21/2006, 10:05 AM
A friend of mine bought the 100g for a FW tank from them. So far so good. Cheap particle board stand, but its surdy enough.

yoshiod9
02/21/2006, 02:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6792306#post6792306 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jedininja
A friend of mine bought the 100g for a FW tank from them. So far so good. Cheap particle board stand, but its surdy enough.

it might just be me but i've never heard anyone use the word 'sturdy' when describing a tank stand made from particle board. :D i hope it doesn't fail on your friend...cuz that would be a lot of water to clean up.

jedininja
02/21/2006, 02:33 PM
I dont htink it will. Particle board is really just for the faces of the stand. The majority of the weight is held up with 2x4s and 4x4s that the frame is made out of. Then the faces are made with particle board with some vinear on it.

dannieboiz
02/21/2006, 05:02 PM
I really have no love for these aquatraders guys.

Bought a pump from them for temp circulation, Never used the damn thing it was in the box and all, came back and wanted to exchange for a smaller pump 2 days later and they wanted to charge me 15% restocking fee. LOL I bought some ball valve and called it a day. Never looked back since.

Another person I know bought a tank from them. When they brought it home and filled it up, there was leaks. Came back next day and they said SOLD AS IS. LOL what a bunch of bull.

I would call their stuff low end china product, not mean to be used if you're really serious about this hobby.

smellyfish
02/21/2006, 09:09 PM
One of my friends bought a 75 gallon tank from them and it starting leaking at the bottom in less than two months. The quality of the stuff they sell is very poor.

pulpol
02/21/2006, 09:12 PM
thanks guys, i guess i'll just have to pay more and get an AGA tank..

Qwiv
02/21/2006, 11:05 PM
I don't have experience with their tanks, but I have had to replace 4 of there light fixtures in a years time. JUNK!!

jedininja
02/22/2006, 09:37 AM
After you replace it a second time, wouldnt it make sense not to buy the same fixture again?:D

dannieboiz
02/22/2006, 10:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6797284#post6797284 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pulpol
thanks guys, i guess i'll just have to pay more and get an AGA tank..
scope around, u should be able to find good deals on aquariums used.

Especially going to this time of year, we're getting into a relocating season. People move around the most starting spring through the summer. This is a good time to buy since a lot of them don't want to lug their huge tanks around.

Coral_Geek
02/22/2006, 11:52 AM
The best one I recall is how when the tanks are filled with water often the doors to the stand will become stuck shut or open depending on where they were when you filled it. That is a sign of quality. :rolleye1:

mcox33
02/22/2006, 12:08 PM
I have a feeling that aquatraders is selling what we here in the USA call seconds or irregulars. Kinda like BigLots or some of the other stores that sell new but cheaper versions of the same product that high end stores sell. They did not meet the manufacturers quality requirements so they get sold off as overstock.

Anyways there are good quality Jebo and Oydessea products out there, they just don't seem to come from aquatraders.

Coral_Geek
02/26/2006, 11:14 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6801054#post6801054 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mcox33
I have a feeling that aquatraders is selling what we here in the USA call seconds or irregulars....
They claim that they own the Odyssea factory in China so I doubt they would sell themselves anything less than their best stuff. There are enough threads about problems with their electral that I would never touch it.

Psionicdragon
02/26/2006, 01:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6830848#post6830848 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Coral_Geek
They claim that they own the Odyssea factory in China so I doubt they would sell themselves anything less than their best stuff. There are enough threads about problems with their electral that I would never touch it.

Where did they claim this? If it is on the site, could you link it please?

Qwiv
02/26/2006, 03:35 PM
Lost another (2) ballasts from them today this week. JUNK!!

Coral_Geek
02/26/2006, 03:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6831657#post6831657 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Psionicdragon
Where did they claim this? If it is on the site, could you link it please?
In person in San Bruno.

gussy
03/07/2006, 01:31 PM
They don't own the factory. That factory makes tons of aquarium stuff for lots of companies under different brands. The quality of the manufactured stuff depends on what the buyer offers the manufacturer. Yes, aquatraders gets the discards.

petermai
03/10/2006, 01:11 AM
oddysea huh...? a week ago, my two month old oddysea 216watt 50/50 light setup started smoking and sparking and was about to burn my house down, luckily i got home from class in time to unplug the darn thing. the lfs i got it from took it back no question asked. i'd be very careful buying the cheap stuff. the money you're investing into livestock is not cheap. do you really want a cheap container to be holding your priceless gems? IMO i think you should look elsewhere for your hardware. hope things work out for you. by the way, i have a friend with the 75gal oddysea tank completely leaked out on him so do be careful if you're planning to tread down that path.