PDA

View Full Version : Hmm water chemistry is acting wierd...

lbv
02/21/2006, 01:45 PM
Let me justy start this off with all my water parameters:

pH: 8.2
Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 77.9F (prefer the little lower temp)
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrate / nitrire: 0ppm
Calcium 320ppm !!!!!!!!! <UGH>
Magnesium: 1250ppm
kH: 7.4 dKH (low in my opinion)
Phosphates: Nothing detectable

Recently I forgot to check my kH in my tank and just got around checking it 2 days ago. When I checked it, was at 4.6dKH (VERY LOW). I also checked calcium that day to, and that was around 390ppm.

I went about correcting the dKH with SeaChem Reef Builder (Raises Carbonate Alkalinity). Today I saw that the dKH went to 7.4, and will dose it again tommorow.

However, I checked calcium again and it dropped almost 70ppm! Could the SeaChem Reefbuilder be dropping my calcium?

Here is what I noticed (Turbo Calcium and SeaChem Reef Builder used), it seems when ever I add one or the other it impacts the other value. When I raise Calcium, it for some reason lowers the dKH. When I raise the dKH it lowers the calcium.

I use Salifert Test kits for this (I have multiple ones, and they have the same reading).

Is there some factor I'm missing? I can never seem to get the calcium above 390ppm, and the dKH is almost always perfect (considering I dont forget for a week).

Could it be where I draw the water from the tank from? I usually draw it from the opening in my canopy, which is inbetween the protein skimmer and refugium.

This has been going on for months now, and I have used 1 continer of Turbo Calcium already.... seems like a juggleing act, everything is healthy, no bleaching, everything is growing RAPIDLY!

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/21/2006, 02:01 PM
However, I checked calcium again and it dropped almost 70ppm! Could the SeaChem Reefbuilder be dropping my calcium?

Not unless you added a huge amount (enough to boost alkalinity by 10 dKH). It may just be testing noise, or due to some other effect, such as a water change with a low calcium mix.

Here is what I noticed (Turbo Calcium and SeaChem Reef Builder used), it seems when ever I add one or the other it impacts the other value. When I raise Calcium, it for some reason lowers the dKH. When I raise the dKH it lowers the calcium.

To some extent that is true. If one or the other is limiting to coral calcification, and you add some so that one is no longer limiting, both will be used faster.

Also, if you push them too high you accelerate precipitation of calcium carbonate, which will drop both.

I'd suggest using a balanced calcium and alkalinity additive system of some sort (CaCO3/CO2 reactor, limewater/kalkwasser, a two part system, maybe a DIY two part system, etc). All of these eliminate the roller coaster effect that you are experiencing.

These articles may help:

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

How to Select a Calcium and Alkalinity Supplementation Scheme
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

Could it be where I draw the water from the tank from? I usually draw it from the opening in my canopy, which is inbetween the protein skimmer and refugium.

No, that is not important unless you draw when an additive is still mixing in.

lbv
02/21/2006, 03:31 PM
Thanks again =).

Seems that the smaller tanks are a lot more work than the bigger ones... my 20G is harder to take care of than my friends 75 he takes care of.

Also a question regauarding protein skimmers. Could they skim out the chemicals i put in? I'm beginning to thing before it mixes with the water it gets skimmed out (my flow gpes toward the skimmer, and all the cemicals are added in water bottles filled with RO / DI water)

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/21/2006, 03:56 PM
Seems that the smaller tanks are a lot more work than the bigger ones... my 20G is harder to take care of than my friends 75 he takes care of.

It has been generally believed that tanks over 50 gallons are a bit easier in the sense that water chemistry varies more slowly when odd things happen.

Also a question regauarding protein skimmers. Could they skim out the chemicals i put in? I'm beginning to thing before it mixes with the water it gets skimmed out (my flow gpes toward the skimmer, and all the cemicals are added in water bottles filled with RO / DI water)

That depends on what you put in. Certain medications? Yes. Calcium and alkalinity? No.