PDA

View Full Version : Why are Achilles Tangs difficult to keep?

Cubman777
02/21/2006, 02:33 PM
I wonder since I always see them in the LFS and live aquaria doesnt state anything specific

jpfelix
02/21/2006, 02:45 PM
are they? i've never had any problems.

gobygoby
02/21/2006, 02:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6794197#post6794197 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Cubman777
I wonder since I always see them in the LFS and live aquaria doesnt state anything specific

I have never heard that:confused:

LouieRocco
02/21/2006, 06:41 PM
I've heard from my LFS that they are finicky eaters, liking something and then not agreeing with it again for a while. Not sure how common that is though

Wolverine
02/21/2006, 07:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6796059#post6796059 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LouieRocco
I've heard from my LFS that they are finicky eaters, liking something and then not agreeing with it again for a while. Not sure how common that is though

Very. They're among the more difficult to keep tangs. It's not uncommon for them to do well for a while, and then crash suddenly for no apparent reason.

Dave

marrone
02/21/2006, 10:18 PM
They're very skiddish and really need large tanks with peaceful tank mates. They also get stressed out very easy which leads to cases of ich which they're very prone to. All of that and they're not the greatest eaters makes for a tough fish to keep.

SerranidTerror
02/22/2006, 04:31 AM
I also hear they thrive in very turbulent water. Which is not suprising since I really only saw achilles tangs where the waves broke on the reef while living in Hawaii. That may have a part in why they don't always do well speaking in long term.

Cubman777
02/22/2006, 10:23 AM
Thanks guys, that is frustrating. I think that they are one of the most beautiful fish available in the home aquarium industry. The difficulties in keeping some animals that thrive so easily in their natural environment reminds me just how complex god's creations are.
now if he could just get the cubs to the world series. . .
But I guess there is no force that powerful

originalozzyo
02/22/2006, 11:21 AM
Apparently from what i have heard from fellow co-workers is that the fish are very skittish and are prone to having a heart attack. But this is just what i have heard, never seen it happen.

RGBMatt
02/22/2006, 12:41 PM
Achilles tangs are very delicate fish and vulnerable to collection damage. They tend to get strange bruises for no apparent reason that get infected and spread over the whole fish. They're also highly sensetive to water quality and ship poorly. This is the main reason for their higher-then-average price - so many of them die at the wholesaler.

It's quite possible to keep them in good health in a home aquarium, but the odds are kind of stacked against you from the beginning. Being lucky and getting a healthy fish is probably the most important step.

triggerfish1976
02/22/2006, 09:02 PM
As noted in previous posts the key to Achilles is extremely strong water movement, good water quality, and a large amount of green stuff. Mine did some what poorly at first and then I started feeding it Nori seaweed soaked in gralic and ever since then it has been doing great.
They need a large amount of swimming room and is by far the most active fish.

Amphiprion
02/22/2006, 09:05 PM
As what RGBMatt said, they tend to have a variety of problems associated with them, often just having a failure to thrive. They and some other tang species seem to experience a similar problem.

stykthyn
02/23/2006, 01:06 AM
too bad they are so fragile they are one of my favorite fish. My lfs had one in it's display tank for several years before the owner took it home. He was constantly having to treat it for ich though.

Cubman777
02/23/2006, 09:06 AM
thanks alot everyone.

jeffbrig
02/23/2006, 09:19 PM
Don't be too discouraged. Achilles Tangs are only difficult to keep because they don't tolerate poor water conditions, and are typically in bad shape even at the LFS. If you can find one that is healthy, with deep coloration, and keep a careful watch on your parameters, you can be successful. Quarantine is mandatory, expect to do plenty of water changes, and some form of ich treatment will be needed (I recommend a 6 week hyposalinity treatment), but you can have success. I have had mine for 5 months, and he is a champ. Eats like a pig, and has since day 1 - flakes, pellets, frozen anything, nori, you name it. No signs of illness since quarantine. He loves to surf in the tunze streams, so be sure you have lots of flow. Awesome, awesome fish.

Here he is:
http://home.comcast.net/~jbrigman/pics/achilles2_1_29_06.jpg

WorldNation
02/24/2006, 02:26 AM
nice looking guy. i'm thinking about adding one to my 600.