PDA

View Full Version : Diary of My Copperbanded Butterfly

Torno
02/21/2006, 02:56 PM
Soo here goes, I want to keep record on this fish so I can be given some advice if Im doing anything wrong or some tips from other reefers, also to look back on.

Saturday, February 18: I purchase him at the store. Cooper is about 2" and had a slightly pinched stomach, but I watched him eat two frozen brine shrimps, so that made me interested. I take him home, turn out the lights and he is acclimated properly.

Sunday, February 19: I attempt to feed him some frozen PE mysis. He takes notice of them, but my mistake, they were too big for him. He gets one in his mouth a little but spits it out and after attempting to eat them a few more times and failing to swallow it, gives up. Later that night I finely chop the mysis, but the piece he tries to eat is STILL too big. Almost as if hes only interested in the pieces that he KNOWS he can't eat. Interesting......

Monday, February 20: I purchase some bloodworms and try to feed him those. He swims after them, but isnt interested. Trys a few more mysis pieces on the large side, but fails to eat any. Bloodworms were offered at night as well as afternoon in addition to the frozen mysis. He is starting to look thin.

Tuesday, (Today), February 21: This afternoon I try to offer him black worms again, he doesnt seem interested in them, I try the chopped frozen mysis, but he goes for the big pieces and cant get them down.

Sooooo, I'm thinking I should try maybe some frozen brine since thats what he was eating in the LFS? Will these pieces be too big for him too? Where to go from here? I will keep you updated.....

Thanks

raddogz
02/21/2006, 03:20 PM
You can also try chopping up scallops and/or clams.

JRPhd
02/21/2006, 04:41 PM
my CBB is ~2" and he'll grab the full size PE mysis, suck them in, and blow out debris. I definitely think he's eating and blowing out the carapace. Could that be what's going on here? Is the volume of food coming out less than that going in? Is the stuff he's blowing out more transparent?

IME, with CBB, given their high mortality you are best to get one that looks healthy right from the beginning. They are finicky and you just don't want to mess around with rehabbing one. That being said, it's nice to see how willing you are to try different things.

J

Torno
02/21/2006, 05:46 PM
Thank you for the ideas, but mine cant even get them in! he just sucks on them and spits and tries to suck them in, but they dont go past the tube mouth part.

Do you mean the fresh clams from like Giant Eagle that they have in their seafood department? Just slice up those pieces?

I really dont want him to die. This is by far my FAVORITE fish in the hobby, hands down. Hes a really active swimmer and I havent given up hope yet because hes atleast trying to eat.

Torno
02/21/2006, 09:41 PM
Well tonight he again refused the mysis and bloodworms. So my next options are:

Tomorrow, get frozen brine and some bring eggs to hatch.

OR

Get a fresh clam from Giant Eagle to try to chop/let him pick at.

OR

Both options.

Whats the next step guys?

raddogz
02/21/2006, 10:46 PM
Fresh clam diced up - fwiw mine wouldn't eat it.

Scallops minced up, and I mean small pieces - my guess this is the right color and texture for these guys.

originalozzyo
02/22/2006, 11:30 AM
I've got two copper bands in different tanks and both eat only mysis shrimp. Just stick with mysis and keep feeding on a daily basis. One of mine will eat big pieces and spit it out then eat it again to break it up more so it will fit in it's mouth.

Torno
02/22/2006, 04:55 PM
So today I tried the frozen mysis and bloodworms again only to fail. I went out and bought some "premium oyster" and a fresh clam. I chopped up the oyster and he just watched it float to the bottom. The clam is still closed, so Im guessing its alive still. I placed it in between a rock and am waiting for it to open. Should I break the shell? Please advise me on this....

Why won't he eat?!?!?!?! :( :(

wjhuie
02/22/2006, 07:56 PM
Get the brine and soak then in selcon.

raddogz
02/22/2006, 09:48 PM
You take the clam meat out of the shell and dice very small.

Scallops were the ticket for me, again mince small.

At least on mine, he doesn't eat in the water column (or very rarely does anyway). He eats and picks at stuff from the bottom of the tank only.

JRPhd
02/23/2006, 12:17 PM
Again, Torno, these fish are notoriously difficult to get to eat. Is it picking your live rock at all? Eating feather duster? You can try prying open the clam and resting it on the bottom or on your LR.

Brine w/ Selcon (vitamin at the LFS) is another good rec. as is the scallops.

I'm concerned about it no getting the pieces in his mouth. He shouldn't be struggling that much with it...