PDA

View Full Version : Ncf

NorthernCF
02/21/2006, 05:20 PM
I got this PM from JenDub.

JenDub wrote on 02/21/2006 07:51 PM:
Hey there,

I was wondering if you could give more info on your prop setup. I love those low tanks. Size? Glass? Who made them? Do you have a sump? What kind of lighting?

Sorry for all the question, just really interested.

Talk to you later, Jen=)

I thought it would be nice to answer in a thread. I have posted a picture in this thread:
Show off your Prop (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=588631&perpage=25&pagenumber=12)

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/97883rack12-11-05-med.jpg [IMG]

NorthernCF
02/21/2006, 05:53 PM
These are acrylic tanks. I made them :) You can see one of the 8 are missing... these were the first tanks I made and one of them did not make the cut!

The top 5 tanks are 2'x4'x8" the bottom 2 are 12" high.
each tank has two t-5ho (not over driven).

This is a basement set up. with maxijet 900s for circulation.
The bottom tanks are one connected sump full of live rock. There is a utility sink (~$16 @ HD) which holds a ER12-2.
Top-off is from a 60g bucket with Kalk thrown in.

Some things learned thus far:
-Leave enough room in each tank to easly slide the racks around for cleaning.
-Don't waist time with many maxies, get seios or maxi mods, or something with higher flow from the get go. Of course if you are in a greenhouse there are other alternatives.
-Paint the wood! Paint it right away!
-Don't use white foam, use pink or bubble wrap insulation... anything but white crumble pads.
-Think long and hard about humidity before you get going at all.
-make sure you have the room for your lights when you make your stand plans.
-caulk everything on the floor.

Some things I felt I did right from the beginning:
-T-5s. I am currently upgrading from one bulb per foot to two bulbs per foot. The outside two will be aqua-blue and inside two will be 11k (front) geday(back). SPS-Softy survive in here, but I noticed on my softy display tank that the zoa have much more spectacular colors (4 bulbs over 1'). The SPS and clams seemed to fair well under 1 geday and 1 11k, but they were only in the system for a short time. One down side is some pinks will come out a strange blue in the attinic + only blubs.
-Make sure everyone close to you owes you for something before you get going. "Say, remember that time I helped you drive that truck to your aunts in Alaska?"
-Bare bottom (not going to get into this one, but I am happy with my choice). You can see that I made white and black bottom tanks. Arguably the white tanks are better for frag growing, I do think the black ones look much nicer though.... you be your own judge.
-Lots of extra circuits installed :)
-Shallow tanks. I am not even sure 8" tanks are necessary.
-Bi color bleeny... Its nice to have a pal when you are pulling that nasty algae out!
-QT tank, and one for fun "pest" tank (for crabs and strange nudibranchs and what not).

.................................................................................................... .....
I had this system running from the summer till winter hit. With out any humidity control my windows are taking a severe beating. December I started redoing... everything. I am nearly finished with the upgrades, expansions, and changes.
:)

JenDub
02/21/2006, 07:01 PM
cool beans=)

That is a might fine setup and I would love to hear about the upgrades and expansions.

I love the fact that it is a mixed system with softy, lps, and sps. Also, that it is bare bottom and t-5's for the whole thing...beautiful.=)

Thanks for sharing

NorthernCF
02/21/2006, 07:11 PM
Sure thing.

For long term SPS and LPS will not be with softie. On that I have a note as well.
The SPS have all been jammed into a 75 for the time being (with a 100g LR sump).
2 notes there
1) Don't use LR with your frags if space is limited. (IME)
2) Don't let Dori in with your frags LOL, bam, bam (IME)
3) Don't have a huge skimmer and then feed nothing to your frag tank... even sps need some nutrients and will bleach with out them (anecdotal).

HTH

waterfaller1
02/23/2006, 04:03 AM
Nice:cool:
Is that a little castle I see up at the top?:D

NorthernCF
02/23/2006, 08:55 AM
Its like a bamboo marshland hut, but I like to think of it as a brittle star trap. :)