PDA

View Full Version : Longhorn Cowfish Question

ray3mont
02/21/2006, 05:24 PM
I am looking to add a Longhorn Cowfish to my 90 g FOWLR tank. Currently have a Radiata Lionfish.

My LFS told me that these are hardy fish and that a 90 g tank would be fine for a Longhorn. However, I am reading about these cowfish and apparently they can get 12 inches plus in an aquarium. Also, I am reading that they are a delicate fish and should only be maintained by and experienced hobbiest. Note, I have about 90 lbs. of LR, wet/dry filter and a lifereef protein skimmer. I have had the Radiata for two weeks with good success so far ... Radiata is eating kril and formula 1 and the water parameters are great. I am new to this though and don't want to bring in the cowfish if he won't be happy in my set up over time or if he's going to be a difficult fish to keep healthy.

Any guidance on keeping a Longhorn in my 90 gal and their hardiness would be appreciated.

SW1TCH
02/21/2006, 06:49 PM
I have not had one but was looking into them and have read that they are difficult to keep. And yes they do get big i personaly would not keep one in a 90. probly a 125 would be a better choice.

I like Triggers
02/21/2006, 10:07 PM
longhorn cowfish can get large, but they are not very active, you can keep one in a 90 gallon with limited tankmates, as for the fact that they are for experts only, is because when they are highly stressed they release a toxic poison into the water similar to a mandarin that will kill all tankmates including itself. being kept with a lionfish i would say you would be in a good boat because they are both calm fish.

there are many other species of boxfish maybe you should look into if you dont want a large one, some stay small like some spotted boxfish.

Monkeyfish
02/22/2006, 04:06 PM
Longhorns need veggies in their diet, don't like a lot of flow and aren't the most graceful of creatures in the universe. I'd be concerned about it bumping into the lion and getting stung. They're also Ich magnets and don't fare well with copper treatments (no scales).

BUT... they do make great pets. Mine likes to be hand fed.

ray3mont
02/22/2006, 05:48 PM
Monkeyfish .... ahhh, but can i keep a Longhorn in 90 gal?
Just curious, how long have you had your Longhorn, how big is the tank you have it in and how big has it gotten?

Monkeyfish
02/23/2006, 11:06 AM
In the short term the longhorn will be okay in the 90, but he will most likely outgrow the tank within 2 years, sooner if housed with lion. I've read that these fish can reach a length of 18" and grow about 5 inches a year.

When I first purchased mine he was placed in a 20 long, then moved to a 29 by himself and will be going into a 75 in a month. Eventually I plan on placing him in a 200 gallon tank. Moo was about 1.5 inches when I bought him and has grown about 1.5 inches in the past 5 months. I feed him Omega superveggie flakes, seaweed selects, clam, PE mysis shrimp, Ocean nutrition frozen formula 1 and 2 and silversides.