PDA

View Full Version : Help white stuff on zoanthids!!!

Hutton
02/21/2006, 06:22 PM
On my big zoa rock the oranged mouthed ones are starting to get this white coating on the heads of the polyps, it covers the mouth and mouves out to were the skirt begins. should i do a fresh water dip? what is this stuff? the other 2 types of zoas dont have this stuff on them, are my ppe in danger of this tuff, they are on a sepparet rock by the way.

Ti
02/21/2006, 09:31 PM
sounds lilke fungus, frag it

Hutton
02/21/2006, 10:30 PM
is there ant way to get rid of it without fragging?

MUCHO REEF
02/22/2006, 08:33 AM
Personally, I always advocate a daily visual inspection of ever single zoo colony for this very reason. Whether it is a Bacterial Infection, a Fungus or decay etc, if it is caught on the very first day and the appropriate actions are taken, you can save them 95% of the time. See the ZOOANTHID INFORMATION DRAFT at the top of this page as it will give you a host of remedies.

A dip isn't always the answer for every ailment as it relates to zoos. Do you have a picture you can share, it will help with a quick diagnoses from all of the experienced reefers in this forum. If it is severe, surgery may be required.

Mucho

Hutton
02/22/2006, 06:17 PM
this may be the problem im having... the only zoas that are doing this are my orang ones no others, first they shrunk realy fast, then got this stuf on them.

could i have the same problem as in this tread

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=779131

bobafett
02/23/2006, 08:56 AM
Sounds like a fungus. Turn off all pumps and powerheads when moving the piece because it can flake off and spread to other zoos. I strongly recommend fragging the infected area and do a dip with a little Iodine added.

Hutton
02/23/2006, 06:20 PM
would it be posible to just cut the dead ones of the rock? i dont have a chizle so i cant brek the rock.