PDA

View Full Version : overflow problems

weekendplayer
02/21/2006, 05:30 PM
I'm having a problem hopefully you guys and gals can help me with. My tank is a 105 show with an external overflow. The overflow I though was rated for 1200 g/h but that doesn't seem to be the case. For a little history, the tank has been up and running for about 6 months or so. My return pump is a mag 9.5 I've had this pump since I setup the tank. The return line is 3/4" plastic tubing that is connected to a 3/4" lockline U tube. I've been doing modifcations lately so that I could add my skimmer. I used a 20g aquarium that I connected to my existing proclear 125 mud sump/fuge I now have about 30g b/w the two tanks. The return pump and skimmer are in the 20g tank. Now to the problem at hand. I wanted to increase my flow in my tank so I replumbed the return line. I now have 1-1/4" pvc piping as my return line. When the pipe leaves the output side of pump I have it tied to two 1-1/4 returns, one on each side of the tank. My problem I'm having is that the overflow can't handle the output of the pump. The overflow has (2) 1" drain lines. The drains them selves I believe can handle the flow, I think its the skimmer box in the tank that can't handle the flow. I know I can put a vavle on the return line and cut back the flow but that would defeat the purpose of increasing the line size. So what would you suggest that I could do to increase flow with my current setup. Are there other external overflows that could handle this amount of flow. I am planning on adding a closed loop system later, but I wanted to try an increase the flow now since I'm having ditrius build up on the sand. I do have two maxjet 1200's in the tank now. Sorry for the long post, and thanks for your help. I'm attaching a pic to help yall understand. Thanks again.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/112337Picture.jpg

Vinny Kreyling
02/21/2006, 05:34 PM
Don't think you can beat a Lifereef. There are different sizes, or you could just add another one.:D

sjm817
02/21/2006, 06:16 PM
Not surprising
1) Most overflows dont flow anywhere near what they advertise.
2) Mag9.5 with 3/4" plumbing is severely flow restricted. Yes, you got a large flow increase with proper plumbing.
3) to handle the flow, a 1400GPH Lifereef is what you need.

weekendplayer
02/21/2006, 06:33 PM
Anybody have a used 1400g/h lifereef they would like to sell me;)

sjm817
02/21/2006, 06:44 PM
Check the used equip forum. They are there now and again.