PDA

View Full Version : 20 tangs in a tank ....

marinegirl
02/22/2006, 07:29 AM
i thought that title might get some attention sorry about that

i know commercial posts are not popular and im sorry about that we thought this might be the best place to ask a profesional a question no supplier in our part of the world has been prepared to answer..

my partner and myself are about to go into the business of selling fish and of course the wholesalers want you to buy 100s of each and im getting the feeling they would tell you anything to sell fish especialy when it comes to how many fish you can keep of each type in a 1 tank ......

does any one know where i can find a good source of reading that i can confirm the wholsalers claims of how many fish of a species per tank can be kept ... ?

nothing against the wholesalers .....

erbio
10/30/2008, 10:52 PM
It depends on the size of the tank.

mckostya
10/30/2008, 11:12 PM
id start by going to large retailers and check how they keep their fish, by species, size or needs.
ive seen 500G tanks stocked with some many fish. by far more then 20 tangs ;)

Blown 346
10/30/2008, 11:49 PM
A good rule of thumb to go by is for every inch a fish is long they need 3 to 5 gallons of water to swim and grow.

Since this would be a fish store, you would have alot of tanks. Dont over crowd but also dont have 4 or 5 fish in one 25 gallon tank either. You have to think that these fish arent going to live there entire life in that specified tank.

WaterKeeper
10/31/2008, 06:38 AM
Hi Marinegirl,

Haven't run into you since the posts when you were making LR. Hope that pH is down by now. :D

What are the specific plans for your shop? Having a hundred French Angels in a LFS is wishful thinking if you hope to turn a profit. On the other hand, if you in turn are a reseller to the market then quantity can be handled if you are willing to invest in the tank sizes needed for such a venture.

It is fine to talk about your store setup plans on RC. It is just outright selling that is prohibited.