PDA

View Full Version : What is melamine?

Ocicat
02/22/2006, 10:07 AM
Subject pretty much says it all. I thought it was a coating that you paint on something, but now I've heard that it's a veneer/sheet material that you glue on... Does it come both ways?

Gipsy
02/22/2006, 10:18 AM
Melamine is High presure laminate with out the "hard" backing.
It's prety unexpensive compare to HPL. How ever you cannot "buy it". It's alway already on a substrate (particule board, MDF...). This is not veneer or metal. Realy it's paper glued to wood product. If you order large amount you can get a variety of colors, but at home center generaly you will find only black or white. The down side of melamine is his impact resistance, very poor (that why they put the "hard backing on HPL), usualy it reserved to verticale surface application. As a FYI I personaly nerver heard of a "marine" grade melamine.
Hope it's helping,
Cheers,
JD

countertopguy
02/22/2006, 01:28 PM
LIke Gipsy said Melamine is a category of sheet good with a Laminate applied to chipboard. It is very heavy and easily damaged by both impact and moisture. It is a good choice for utility cabinets but I would not recommend it for aquarium stand or cabinets.

Steve

Ocicat
02/22/2006, 02:35 PM
Ahh, thanks very much. I saw somewhere on RC that someone had lined the interior of their cabinet and canopy with melamine, so I thought it was water-proof! TY.

countertopguy
02/22/2006, 05:48 PM
The melamine is water resistant to a point but if any gets to the chipboard it would be trouble. A good coat of primer and a quality top coat of paint would be more than adequate,

BeanAnimal
02/22/2006, 05:55 PM
put me in the "I hate melamine" column. I don't even like the stuff for vertical surfaces.

Ocicat, everything at IKEA is made of melamine. Most of the "computer furniture" that you find at most discount stores, wal-mart, K-Mart, Etc is all melamine or similar.

It doesnt even make good firewood.

Bean

Gipsy
02/22/2006, 09:21 PM
All the above are right. If I may say Melamine is a good product for some application, we use it all the time, but I agree not for aquarium even less for light enclosure. Laminate aka HPL or Veneer will not be a good choise either. Pretty much anything that get glued to a substrate must be avoid : they dont like heat and moisture. As a side note I always thought that Corian could be a very good choise (very pricy, kind of heavy but realy cool colors) for some hight end aquarium project.

BeanAnimal
02/22/2006, 09:24 PM
I want a Melamine house with Melamine walls, furniture and cielings..... I know I can't have Melamine doorknobs and sinks, but that is what plastic is made for.

Ohh wait thats a mobile home from the 80's

Bean

blfuller123
02/23/2006, 05:27 AM
I use a Melamine for the top of my work benck. If it gets screwed up, its only $20 a sheet to replace it.

BeanAnimal
02/23/2006, 06:55 AM
blfuller

masonite makes a cheaper, harder surface. Use MDF, OSB, or other similar substrate (whatever is on sale) and then toss a littel contact cement and Masonite down. It peels up very easily and can be replaced. Glue does not stick to it very well and it can be lightly waxed or buffed if you need a slick surface.

Bean

Bean

TAB
02/23/2006, 03:17 PM
I hate the stuff... It just can't take abuse... its not even good "grage" cabinets.

blfuller123
02/23/2006, 05:22 PM
The piece I got was on clearance (it was chipped). It works for what I use it for.

chrismunn
02/23/2006, 10:48 PM
what is the laminate vaneer used on formica counter tops called? does it have a name?

countertopguy
02/24/2006, 04:43 AM
HPL or high pressure laminate

schristi69
02/24/2006, 02:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6814243#post6814243 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chrismunn
what is the laminate vaneer used on formica counter tops called? does it have a name?

Uh, it is called Formica. :)