PDA

View Full Version : A Good read?

Aquareefer776
02/22/2006, 11:57 AM
Heya folks!

I am looking for some good books to start reading up on this hobby. Something that will help me a complete novice who knows nothing. I have 3 that have caught my eye so far:

1) The Conscientious Marine Aquarist: A Commonsense Handbook for Successful Saltwater Hobbyists, 2) The New Marine Aquarium: Step-By-Step Setup & Stocking Guide, and 3) Complete Idiot's Guide to Setting Up Saltwater Aquariums. I thought the idiot one would apply to me well..lol. Like i described in my intro I have 2 tanks at moment. I am more looking to start getting the processes down and some of the equipment together, as my family and I may be moving soon to another house and don't want to have a tank starting up then have to try and move it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Jacob D
02/22/2006, 01:15 PM
#1 is a good book. I'm not familiar with the others. A few other suggestions (aside from books).

* Very soon I will be putting up a new to saltwater section on our website (www.nvreefers.org). I don't profess to know a fraction as much as today's well known authors, however this will be a "meat and potatoes" breakdown of some of the fundamentals. When it is up I will make a post here in the forums, also an email will go out to anyone on the mailing list.

* Our April Meeting, which will be announced this week, is going to be "New to Saltwater". We're planning on presenting a DVD on the topic then having open Q&A as a group discussion afterward.

* Another good source of information is Wet Web Media (wetwebmedia.com). You can search for and find other folks questions and replies from the 'experts' on various specific topics.

* If you have specific questions you can always ask here, in the forum, any time!

Welcome to the NVR!

Aquareefer776
02/22/2006, 07:19 PM
That would be awesome to be able to attend I hope it will be on a day that I wont have to go to work that night or worked previous night, other wise I will be a zombie at work or at the meeting...lol

Jacob D
02/22/2006, 10:33 PM
Well whenever you can make it we're around. Until then you'll find a few of us regular geeks online in the forum ;)

Jacob D
03/31/2006, 12:22 AM
Thought I would bump this up for those members who are new and building tanks right now. I spent a little time to clean up the 'new to saltwater' reference info on the website and added a little more to it. It can be found here (the link has been moved too):

http://nvreefers.org/reference/newtosalt.php

This goes hand in hand with our topic for April, and there will be a checklist roughly based on this write up that follows the DVD topic order.