PDA

View Full Version : Color of it all?

TereKers
02/22/2006, 05:26 PM
I recently purchased replacement bulbs for my lights.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/bulbs.php?product_ID=lb-hg1514

I read 14,500k's which should be a nice white color however it has this annoying yellow tint as my previous 10,000k bulbs. I still had my PC lights which I replaced and tested them on my corals, (to see color difference) only it looked more colorful through the PC's. So I wonder...how can I get an bloody non yellow tint to my corals so they can look less....brown and yellow? (bulb recommendations? ballast is HQI 2 175watts)

(My corals are mostly softies just for the record.)

TereKers
02/22/2006, 06:51 PM
Bump....

bertoni
02/22/2006, 07:16 PM
Hmm, if you don't like the looks of that bulb, you could try a 20k bulb. They're a bit dim, usually, but very blue. If you can take a tour and look at various lighting setups in person, that might save a lot of money.

Is there any chance that the water or tank walls are contributing the yellow?

TereKers
02/22/2006, 08:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6804042#post6804042 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bertoni
Hmm, if you don't like the looks of that bulb, you could try a 20k bulb. They're a bit dim, usually, but very blue. If you can take a tour and look at various lighting setups in person, that might save a lot of money.

Is there any chance that the water or tank walls are contributing the yellow?

Well all but the back wall is cleaned well, I do monthly water changes so I don't think it's the water. Err I believe it's the bulb however next time I do a water change I will look at the color of the water.

Javeo
02/22/2006, 08:47 PM
Everyone see's colour differently, depending on age, eye health etc. As suggested its probably a good idea to look atvarious bulbs running and choose from there.

TereKers
02/22/2006, 09:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6804738#post6804738 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Javeo
[B]Everyone see's colour differently, depending on age, eye health etc. /B]

Heh, true but friends and family members agree there is a tint of yellowness.

piranhaking
02/22/2006, 10:14 PM
try adding some actinic bulbs to the mix, they should blue it up quite nicely. Yes i did say blue as in the color and not blow as in explode.

Javeo
02/22/2006, 10:52 PM
Different bulbs of the same kelvin value also look different. But i agree with you, 14k do have a yellow tint. I use 2 14k t5s with 2 actinic blues to make my tank look a crisp white.