PDA

View Full Version : Ground T5HO reflectors?

Zigzag Man
02/22/2006, 05:56 PM
I'm just curious about grounding T5HO reflectors... every other lighting system I've installed has had grounded reflectors, yet I've seen no mention of whether or not you should ground your T5HO reflectors.

Any advice, or am I just thinking too much? :D

artful-dodger
02/22/2006, 06:02 PM
It can't hurt and it might help a lot. Any stray voltage that might be transmitted from an exposed wire, etc. needs to be directed to ground. (Other than the ground you form when you have your hands in the water...)

Zigzag Man
02/22/2006, 06:54 PM
That's what I was thinking...

When I installed my first set of PC lights waaaay back when, I inadvertantly forgot to ground the reflectors they were installed with, and whenever I put my hands in the tank I could feel the stray voltage on any cuts or hangnails that were on my hands (a small 'buzzing' feeling).

Once I figured out what the problem was, and grounded the reflectors, it went away... it was the weirdest thing. I never had thought that the reflectors would build up some kind of electromagnetic field from being so close to the bulbs, or that it would somehow get transferred to the water (I guess from being near them?), but that's what the problem was.

Go figure?

I like your sig too... I'm one of those 10 kinds of people that understand binary (was comp sci before I switched over to econ). :D

horkn
02/22/2006, 08:02 PM
i think you are thinking too much.

the reflectors mount via plastic clips, or powder coated metal that doesnt conduct electricity well either...

ground the ballast, and you will be fine

artful-dodger
02/22/2006, 08:10 PM
Until you have a wire rub against the reflector every time you lift/drop the lid...then a year later the insulation is worn away and the bare wire is touching the reflector.

Why not? The extra 5 minutes to install or the $.02 of green wire?

horkn
02/22/2006, 08:14 PM
i see your point, but why not just replace the wire that gets worn, or put electrical tape as a precautionary measure. on my retro, the wires wont get the insulation worn.. well, barring any rat infestation:lol:

cougaraug
02/22/2006, 09:09 PM
when dealing with lots of voltage around saltwater, I find you can not take too many precautions.

Zigzag Man
02/22/2006, 09:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6804856#post6804856 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by horkn
i think you are thinking too much.

the reflectors mount via plastic clips, or powder coated metal that doesnt conduct electricity well either...

ground the ballast, and you will be fine

Heya horkn... thanks for chiming in.

Well, the thing is that on the previous lighting system I had, there was also nothing touching the reflector (as in wires), but I 'still' could feel the electricity in the tank... that's why I said it was a weird occurrence.

I don't know if it has to do with the metal being near the bulb, and it's catching stray electrons or something, but without the reflectors being grounded I had a stray electricity problem, and once I grounded them, it went away.

I just didn't want to run into the same scenario and have to 'repair' my retrofit... but if everybody else is using them without grounds, and having no problems, then I probably won't second-guess a non-issue.

Also, my canopy isn't hinged, so once the lights are in there'll be no wire movement... I have doors on three sides that open for access, and the lights will be above the door height, so I 'think' I should be safe.

Thanks to all for offering your advice... it's much appreciated. :)

horkn
02/23/2006, 08:18 AM
that was weird about your stray electicity issue, but, if you want to ground them, go nuts

if it worked for you before, thats all that matters