PDA

View Full Version : Bonding PVC to Plexi or Acrylic

mmbuna
02/23/2006, 03:54 AM
Hi all,

In my DIY efforts, I often need to bond plexi to pvc and I haven't got yet a satisfactory bond between them so far using the following silicone, caulking and CA glue.

For example, I need a clear plexi glass window to be glued on my DIY PVC reactor, so I can see the status of the media inside the reactor. Although I have managed to form flat plexi sheets to fit the round PVC body, I have not managed to bond them properly, resulting in leaks always.

Any takers?

MinibowMatt
02/23/2006, 04:24 AM
I believe what you need is Loctite 420.

mmbuna
02/23/2006, 04:46 AM
Matt, have you tried it? Give us some feedback mate.

h20cooled
02/23/2006, 06:18 AM
Weld-on 16 worked for me, I attached acrylic to a clear PVC tube for a skimmer. Check out weld-on website and they break down the materials it glues. You will have to buy it from a plastic's shop though.

Rich

ErikS
02/23/2006, 08:47 AM
Ditto, for non-pressure applications use #16. Won't give the high strength bond that #40 will but in this application it's good enough.

mattboy
02/23/2006, 03:00 PM
Definitely use weld on #40 for a quality bond. Attaching PVC fittings to acrylic is almost always the spot where you want the strongest bond; especially if the fittings will support a pump and/or are threaded and must take the torque of being worked with. In your case, for a clear acrylic window, I suppose you could put it on the inside in which case the water pressure would be pushing the joint together. I'd still use #40; I don;t use #16 for anything, as #40 does everything #16 does except better. It's a little more trouble to use, you have to mix it in a 20:1 ratio. I've found old salifert test kits work great for this; use the big syringe for the resin and the small one for the activator.

mmbuna
02/24/2006, 02:11 AM
... that was the answer I was hoping NOT to get! hehe...

WeldOn is definately a solution, however I can not source it localy (Greece) and 99% of the airlines/cargo as well as customs, will not accept to ship it via-air, so I cannot order it from the US.

Oh well.... thanks anyhow guys!

schristi69
02/24/2006, 02:13 PM
They MUST have a comparable product in Greece or don't you guys do plastics there? Check with a plastics distributor and see what they use.