PDA

View Full Version : My new clown...

SRT80
02/23/2006, 08:23 AM
Ok, I got a new clown from Fishboy last Saturday. This morning I have noticed white spots and the fins are lookin a little rough. I'll try and get pictures this evening. But it looks like I'm gonna have to set up a QT now. It sucks too because my original clown seemed to enjoy the new company. it didn't even take a day for this clown to start hostin in some green star polyps. It would dive in to the patch where all you could see was its face. So, what should I do???

Steve

Angela Short
02/23/2006, 09:21 AM
Is the white specs maybe sand? Grainy like ick or just white patches like irritation? If his finns are looking rouph I would wonder if someone is rouphing him up, stressing him out. What other fish are in the tank with him? Does the other one pay any attention to him or ignore him? If the fish is sick I seriously doubt it was brought in from Matts set-up. I saw his deal in person last weekend and he is very meticulouse in his fish husbandry and disease controll and all his grow out tanks were imaculent and disease free. Do you have a coral that may be irritating his finns/skin? He came from a empty tank with nothing in it but a sponge filter (and a million buddies :)) so a coral suddenly stinging him may just be irritating his finns? I would just watch him for a while but its a good idea to try and keep a sponge filter cycled for the dreaded what if senerios.

SRT80
02/23/2006, 10:14 AM
I know it has nothing to do with Matt. I was thinking maybe something from the GSP's? I just remembered when my original clown started hosting zoas, he had black spots. The only other fish is the clown and the firefish who keeps to itself. The 2 clowns actually chase it everynow and then. I havent noticed the bigger clown doin anything to mess the fins up on the new one. They get along fine and swim together and even swim through the zoas together. I'm hoping maybe its just a reaction from the star polyps. Cause he has been really goin carzy in them.

Steve

Mikeyjer
02/23/2006, 12:17 PM
My new one from fishboy that Angela brought down is doing just fine. We named it Bozo, but Nemo is bonding with Bozo so they may become a pair. We might have to change Bozo's name to Bozette.... :lol:

Angela Short
02/23/2006, 01:12 PM
Yea Matts fish were unbelivable. I agree the fire fish shouldn't be bothering him. I would bet the coral is irritating him. They didn't have any prior exposure to a coral to get use to the stings. I would do a nice big water change just incase something in the water colum is affecting him you can't test for. In a 20 gallon thats pretty easy! :) The water change that is...well and a toxin build up also I guess! Hope it will pass and be nothing.

Fishboy42
02/23/2006, 02:00 PM
I'm sorry to hear that your little guy isn't looking so good. Do the fins look frayed? I don't know of a disease that could do that, so it's a little puzzling, espeically since the other fish aren't agressive. Are the white spots very small (almost difficult to see) or larger? Are they raised? Sometimes sand or small bubbles will stick to a stressed fish. Does the fish have excess mucous? How is his appetite? I have seen black spots on clowns after they host in corals, but I've never heard of white ones. If it doesn't look like a disease, then Angela's advice of a water change might be good--couldn't hurt anyway. Sorry for all the questions, just trying to help!

Matt

Mikeyjer
02/23/2006, 03:04 PM
That' what the black spot was on Bozo. He's been playing in the long tentacle plate coral and the frogspawn. I guess that's where it's coming from....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6809671#post6809671 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fishboy42
I'm sorry to hear that your little guy isn't looking so good. Do the fins look frayed? I don't know of a disease that could do that, so it's a little puzzling, espeically since the other fish aren't agressive. Are the white spots very small (almost difficult to see) or larger? Are they raised? Sometimes sand or small bubbles will stick to a stressed fish. Does the fish have excess mucous? How is his appetite? I have seen black spots on clowns after they host in corals, but I've never heard of white ones. If it doesn't look like a disease, then Angela's advice of a water change might be good--couldn't hurt anyway. Sorry for all the questions, just trying to help!

Matt

Angela Short
02/25/2006, 08:53 PM
Hows the clown? Just wondering, hope it is nothing... :)

SRT80
02/26/2006, 01:55 PM
I guess it was a reaction from the GSPs? I have no clue. The white spots are gone and his fins doesnt look that bad. I caught my original clown nippin his fins one night so thats where that came from. But the white spots was strange. He seems to be fine now. He's also not hosting the star polyps anymore. Has switched to a yellow polyp/zoa rock. Maybe my original clown caused the trouble the whole time, was stressin the new guy out? They seem to be doin' fine together now.

Steve

Angela Short
02/26/2006, 10:54 PM
Glad to hear, just showin the new guy who's boss I bet!