PDA

View Full Version : Plastic, reef safe?

orion76
02/23/2006, 09:47 AM
Hi Randy

I have been using a black plastic grating material in my tank lately, first sporadically but now I have found it so useful that I want to rebuild my entire aqua scape using this material in large amounts for support of the LR.

I am not sure what plastic this is made of though and the place I buy it from won't disclose the manufacturer (fears me buying it cheaper direct) so I can't check it either. All that's printed on it are batch numbers. It's used at store entrances for people to scrape the mud of their shoes before they enter.

Any idea of what the chances are of this not being reefsafe or any way to find out what it is without resorting to bio assays?

FWIW, it's very similar to PVC but more flexible and it floats in water. When I cut it with an electric saw and becomes hot it softens quite easily. If I hold a lighter to it, it burns with a yellow blue flame (identical to lighter flame) and has a tarry smell when it burns.

Below is a pic. I know it's a long shot but hope you may be able to help me figure out if this is safe to use or not.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/orion76/55e46ac0.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/23/2006, 01:28 PM
My expectation is that it will be fine. I'd wash it with warm soapy water then rinse well to remove any mold release agents. :)

old salty
02/23/2006, 03:17 PM
Before I use any plastics for my tank (such as water containers), I fill them with water, pour in a little bleach and add a little salt (ice melting works fine) and let it sit for a few days. Now, this may not be totally necessary, but if you don't think plastics leach anything, that new car smell we all love so much is just that.

I got that info from another site; the guy owns a salt manufacturing company so he may know a thing or two.

steve the plumb
02/23/2006, 04:10 PM
I used a plastic bucket (flower pot) for my live rock.I used it as a stand less rock but the tank looks full.

orion76
02/23/2006, 10:51 PM
Muchos Gracias :)