PDA

View Full Version : lighting query

cfarrow2
02/23/2006, 10:35 AM
I'm currently running 130 watts in a standard 55 gal. tank. Corallife 50/50, with dual 65 w. The only light sensitive inverts I have is a clutch of zooanthids that are doing very well; spreading fast. I would like to upgrade the lights eventually, but am unsure of how high to go. I saw my lfs is keeping Haitian Purple tip anemones under dual 96 watt 50/50s. That seems low to keep anemones, but they're doing well; been in there for a couple months. My question, I guess, is if you can keep anemones under phos. lights, shouldn't you be able to keep some corals under that? I mean, if you supplement their diets, why spend 700 bucks on a premium halide system? It's a question I've been asking myself for a while and just wondering.

unmc2001
02/23/2006, 11:09 AM
I have 2 x 96W on my 58 gallon and I have kept a rose bulb tip anemone for 18 months and the thing is doing very well under that light. I feed it once a week as well. other corals in my tank include finger leather, toadstool, green star polyps, zoos, mushrooms, xenia, clove polyps, pipe organ, and butoon polyps. everything is doing great.

cfarrow2
02/23/2006, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the reply. I'll research it. One other thing I've heard is that Xenia will only wave and "clutch" its hands under Halides. I saw it at my lfs and was hyptnotized. It was a beautiful display. Have you heard the same?

unmc2001
02/23/2006, 01:00 PM
no I haven't heard that. my xenia pulse and clutch but they do not do it all the time. I have increased the flow in my tank and I feel they actually do it less since I increased the flow. I am consicering dropping flow back down a little because I too liked the appearance.