PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Water Param. Ca too high

dhayden
02/23/2006, 06:17 PM
Im in a quandry on my new tank. Its 20g, been cycled for about 4 weeks. i cycled it with non-cured LR, took about 5 weeks. I put some janitors in there and the tank has been looking well. Dosed with Kalk for first week or so through makeup water. Anyway I have some bright green alage blooming on everything, (not hair). And I have lost a few janitors, an emerald and a few hermits and a nars. and cerinth. So I have tested lately and I cant figure it.

Amon - 0
No2 - 0
No3 - 0
PH - 8.4
KH - 16dKH
Ca - 800+

A few days back I dosed the tank with Reef Plus, and Reef Complete trying to get the coraline to grow faster. I had 130w of PC on for 12 hours. Cant figure out how the Ca got soo high. I only dosed 1 cap of the Complete and the Plus. Makes no sense. I ran the tests 2x to see if a mistake.
I figure the janitors died from lack of food, I have been feeding the tank though, so Im not sold. Think I should do a large water change? I just did a 5gal a week ago. Ca is way too high.

reefwick
02/23/2006, 06:30 PM
I think that stuff your dosing is calcium based to get the coralline to grow. Stop dosing and let is come down gradually.

bertoni
02/23/2006, 06:40 PM
I agree. The dKH is a bit high as well. I would try to keep it in the 7-11 range.

dhayden
02/23/2006, 08:01 PM
i will let it come down. You think I would have an alage bloom with no nitrates?

bertoni
02/23/2006, 10:34 PM
The nitrate level can read zero because the algae are consuming the nitrate as quickly as it's produced. I would let the tank stabilize, and then deal with the algae.

If you haven't done any water changes since the tank was set up, a few 25% changes might be worthwhile to remove any toxins, etc, released during the live rock curing.

dhayden
02/23/2006, 10:51 PM
cool thanks