PDA

View Full Version : Starfish Question

Lpabsolute
02/23/2006, 11:15 PM
Hey, I've been wonting to get a starfish for my 54g corner for sometime now. I've heard that starfish work better in tanks that have been setup for a while. I was planning on getting a blue or orange linkia star but have heard that they really don't live for long periods of time. I know that some people have had success with them but i really don't wont to buy something that i'm not sure will live in my tank. I was wondering if there are any different stars other than linkia's that are reef safe and have a good survival rate. Any ideas or pics would be great.

Lpabsolute
02/23/2006, 11:16 PM
Also i'm looking something i can buy small and will stay small for quite sometime. Thanks.....

sunfish11
02/23/2006, 11:52 PM
What about a few asterina's. They are small, they are hardy, and they are prolific starfish.

Lisa

steve the plumb
02/23/2006, 11:56 PM
I have orange linkia and harlequin starfish all doing fine.Don't buy chocolate chip not good for reef.

Lpabsolute
02/24/2006, 07:54 AM
steve the plumb
Thanks, i really wont a linkia, (blue/red/orange) either one of those colors, but i've heard a lot of bad stories about them not surviving long in tanks. Plus my tank is only about two months old. Any pics of yours?

Lpabsolute
02/24/2006, 07:56 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6814271#post6814271 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sunfish11
What about a few asterina's. They are small, they are hardy, and they are prolific starfish.

Lisa

Lisa,

What do the Asterina's eat? And how long do they usually survive? Anything that would make a meal of them? Pics?

Thanks again.....

Japheth
02/24/2006, 07:59 AM
I have a green brittle star in my reef. You have to be cautious with them because they can be aggressive though. I got lucky with mine and it has never shown any aggression or ever tried to eat anything. Just keep them fed well.

I would say that your tank is still probably way to new to support a linkia. They need a well established tank with perfect conditions.

Lpabsolute
02/24/2006, 08:06 AM
Japheth
Yeah, i'm with you on the linkia thing. I know my tank is still pretty new. How small can your get the brittle star's and what is their diet like? Any different suggestions on other types of stars?

steve the plumb
02/24/2006, 11:12 AM
I have 2 of them for about 6 months with no problems.They are smal about 3 inches.I can take a pic but I would have to see them first.They are always in the rocks so I don't see them every day.I would wait to establish tank before adding them.They eat algea I guees because I don't feed them.My harlequin is nice aswell but they prefer the dark.I have one in my tank and one in my sump.I have another orange starfish but I don't know the name.Its not as nice as the linkia.I wanted to get a blue linkia but the ones I have seen are large(ast 5 to 6 inches)Brittles are like my harlequin.I have had both.they eat what ever fals on the bottom,pelletts,mysis,squid,shrip,and dead fish.If a fish is dead whatever the crabs don't get the starfish will eat.Brittles are easy to keep.My clown killed my purple brittle star.

Buster4900
02/24/2006, 11:50 AM
I have had a red linkia star for about six months. It is very active, I sure like it. He spends most of the time on the glass and a little time on the rocks. I get the most comments about the star than anything else. Not sure what he eats but he is looking good after six months.

fishykid9212
02/24/2006, 12:03 PM
I got a chocolate chip star from petco, and the thing is living happy. He is in my reef too with no problems:)

Japheth
02/24/2006, 12:06 PM
my brittle green is about 14" diameter right now. They grow quickly. It hides during the day and comes out at night and when I feed. It will eat anything from detritus to krill and silversides. I keep mine fed to make sure that it doesn't decide to feed itself. I would not suggest feeding live food, this just gives them ideas about the other fish in the tank.

Stay away from serpent stars, they are even more aggressive than the green brittle.

Japheth
02/24/2006, 12:08 PM
you have to be REALLY careful with chocolate chips. people have kept them in a reef but they are considered NOT reef safe, they will feed on coral.

fishykid9212
02/24/2006, 12:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6816831#post6816831 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Japheth
you have to be REALLY careful with chocolate chips. people have kept them in a reef but they are considered NOT reef safe, they will feed on coral.
I know I was told but I never ever see the star on the sand or rock it just circles the tank going around the glass all the time.

Japheth
02/24/2006, 12:57 PM
sometimes you get lucky, I did with my brittle star when I was told to be cautious about it.