PDA

View Full Version : berghia order

dustin Combs
02/24/2006, 06:31 AM
I am ordering berghia on monday would anyone like to join in? There are 15+ a little shipping just let me know if you would like one or some. I have spent 50+ on joe's juice and not stopping those that are under and between the rocks.

dustin and debbie

dustin Combs
02/24/2006, 08:45 AM
I forgot to mention for those who are new that this is the best preditor for the aiptasia.

Travis L. Stevens
02/24/2006, 09:05 AM
I'll wait until someone has cleared their tank with them, and I will buy them off of that person to help prolong their life.

ReeferRyan
02/24/2006, 11:20 AM
I want one

dustin Combs
02/24/2006, 11:26 AM
So far we have 6 sold. Anyone else? Thanks Ryan. I will get with you on payment after the order.

dustin

ReeferRyan
02/24/2006, 11:38 AM
Ok. Is just one enough for a 75?

captbunzo
02/24/2006, 11:39 AM
Yes. No reason to overdo it. It might take a little longer to clean them up, but it will probably live longer as well.

dustin Combs
02/24/2006, 12:01 PM
I think it depends on how big the infestation is

ReeferRyan
02/24/2006, 01:09 PM
It is everywhere. I have 7 peppermint shrimp and although some are very young they haven't made a dent in the problem.

captbunzo
02/24/2006, 01:35 PM
I just caution against taking too much action at once. Only bad things happen fast in this hobby. I'd say one of these Nudibranches will be more then sufficient to eat a 75 Gallon tankful of aiptasia - it might just take a little longer. And that REALLY IS BETTER then putting more in there in hopes to speeding things up, and then having 2-3 starve (later) from lack of food, rather then one.

ReeferRyan
02/24/2006, 01:42 PM
Alrighty. One it is. :thumbsup:

Travis L. Stevens
02/24/2006, 01:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6817537#post6817537 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by captbunzo
I just caution against taking too much action at once. Only bad things happen fast in this hobby. I'd say one of these Nudibranches will be more then sufficient to eat a 75 Gallon tankful of aiptasia - it might just take a little longer. And that REALLY IS BETTER then putting more in there in hopes to speeding things up, and then having 2-3 starve (later) from lack of food, rather then one.

Plus, they breed in the home aquarium. So, if you really had to, two would be enough. If your tank is infested, their population will increase as food is available. :thumbsup:

But, just like sea hares, they will eat themselves out of a food source, hence why I am waiting until someone's tank is free of Aiptasia. Plus, their sole diet is Aiptasia. It is tempting for me to order one, because I need it pretty badly. But, I would rather be responsible and buy a used one. I'll even equal the price they paid :D

captbunzo
02/24/2006, 01:56 PM
Hehe. Strangely enough, in my old 29G tank, I had about 2-3 huge aiptasia. But they didn't spread or bother anything, so I just left them alone. I guess I got lucky! :)

wjhuie
02/24/2006, 02:07 PM
Where are you guys getting them. I live in west tennessee and need to order some anyone got the link?

dustin Combs
02/24/2006, 02:50 PM
I appreciate the feed back but are we going to order or just tag along?

dustin Combs
02/24/2006, 02:55 PM
so we have:

ryan 1
slone 2
dustin and debbie 4
gary 3

LotR Clown
02/24/2006, 05:23 PM
I'll take 3. Who are you getting them from Dustin? You can get a price reduction depending on number.
Kevin

dustin Combs
02/24/2006, 05:45 PM
saltyunderground. if we go above 20 we can start recieving wholesale pricing.

LotR Clown
02/24/2006, 08:51 PM
ryan 1
slone 2
dustin and debbie 4
gary 3
Kevin 3

padixon2
02/25/2006, 10:09 AM
ryan 1
slone 2
dustin and debbie 4
gary 3
Kevin 3
Casandra 2

Knyght
02/25/2006, 10:43 AM
I would like 1.
Are you going to have them delivered to OKC?
I may have to have someone pick it up for me.

ryan 1
slone 2
dustin and debbie 4
gary 3
Kevin 3
Casandra 2
Greg 1

dexterd
02/25/2006, 10:48 AM
I may have to pick mine up in the evening as i work all day.

ryan 1
slone 2
dustin and debbie 4
gary 3
Kevin 3
Casandra 2
Greg 1
Teresa 2

dustin Combs
02/25/2006, 02:35 PM
yes, they will be delivered to OKC. And the p/u will be in the afternoon and evening

dustin Combs
02/26/2006, 08:47 AM
Anyone else want to join in? I am placing the order this evening. I will inform everyone what the total price will be via pm. We need about 5 more to get a better discount though

dustin and debbie

MyMonkey
02/26/2006, 02:45 PM
SOLD! I will take one as well. Just let me know when and where to pick the little buggar up. I will be out of town next Tuesday and Wednesday night, returning Thursday.
And Travis, you can have mine when he has finished with the Aiptasia in my tank.

Travis L. Stevens
02/27/2006, 09:11 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6832312#post6832312 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MyMonkey
SOLD! I will take one as well. Just let me know when and where to pick the little buggar up. I will be out of town next Tuesday and Wednesday night, returning Thursday.
And Travis, you can have mine when he has finished with the Aiptasia in my tank.

You got it. Name your price when it is ready.

dustin Combs
02/27/2006, 12:17 PM
I am in the process or ordering anyone else ?

dustin Combs
02/27/2006, 12:37 PM
ryan 1
slone 2
dustin and debbie 3
gary 3
Kevin 3
Casandra 2
Greg 1
Teresa 2
my monkey1

We have 18 ordered we need a few move to get a better discount.

Travis L. Stevens
02/27/2006, 12:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6839221#post6839221 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dustin Combs
ryan 1
slone 2
dustin and debbie 3
gary 3
Kevin 3
Casandra 2
Greg 1
Teresa 2
my monkey1

We have 18 ordered we need a few move to get a better discount.

How many more?

dustin Combs
02/27/2006, 01:13 PM
We need atleast 20 but 20 would do.

exoticaquatics
02/27/2006, 01:24 PM
I could take one more if needed. Who else wants one?

dustin Combs
02/27/2006, 01:45 PM
we are at 19!!! almost there

Travis L. Stevens
02/27/2006, 01:59 PM
*gritting my teeth* How would payment work? I MIGHT get one to meet your goal. I just might have to start culturing aiptasia to keep them fed/alive

dustin Combs
02/27/2006, 02:01 PM
To answer your question travis, it would be paypal or upon pick-up.

Travis L. Stevens
02/27/2006, 02:29 PM
Okay, YGPM

dustin Combs
02/27/2006, 03:20 PM
ryan 1
slone 2
dustin and debbie 3
gary 3
Kevin 3
Casandra 2
Greg 1
Teresa 2
my monkey 1
And finally Travis 2

There we go we have 20 and I am placing the order right know.
I will pm everyone when he sends me the invoice.
Thanks
dustin

Travis L. Stevens
02/27/2006, 03:27 PM
*hangs his head in shame* I gave in. Thanks for ordering that for us Dustin. :thumbsup:

dustin Combs
02/27/2006, 03:31 PM
you are very welcome. I needed them also and remember a thread about ordering but never came to attrition.

dustin Combs
03/01/2006, 04:41 PM
The berghia will be here tomorrow which is thursday!! yea! we broke the bank ordering these suckers. 15.98 a piece to those who ordered. I will acclimate and feed and place in containers for everyone. PS looking for a tip$$ just kiddin

dustin

LotR Clown
03/01/2006, 04:44 PM
Thanks Dustin,
What is your paypal addy? I will paypal prior to pickup.

Kevin

Travis L. Stevens
03/01/2006, 04:46 PM
Can you post directions to your house or shoot me a PM with them? Is there a specific time you would like people to show up for pickup?

captbunzo
03/01/2006, 04:48 PM
Thank you for organizing this group buy, Dustin!

dustin Combs
03/01/2006, 08:27 PM
pm's sent out to all that ordered. Thank you in advance. Look forward to meeting some of you.

dustin and debbie

pwhitby
03/01/2006, 08:32 PM
Hey Dustin,

Thanks for organizing this. The berghia I had were great and really removed all my aptasia.

If I may make a suggestion....make sure you add the berghia to the tank with the lights off and make sure it moves onto a rock directly. They are so light that they get blown around by the water flow. The easiest thing to do is add a a rock or shell to the container it is acclimated in, once on the rock, carefully add that to the tank.

Paul.

dustin Combs
03/01/2006, 09:05 PM
Thanks paul. Your wisdom is always welcomed. I have harvested some aptasia to feed them also. I have plenty to give away if anyone wants some. I am looking for them to do the work. I will pass along the info to the others when they p/u. Once again, thank you

dustin and debbie

dustin Combs
03/02/2006, 11:54 AM
There here. I fed them a couple big aptasia and they are all at the dinner table. I am in the process of slow drip acclimation for the next couple of hrs. They will be ready by 3 if anyone wants to p/u early

dustin

Travis L. Stevens
03/02/2006, 12:17 PM
What will the water parameters be once they finish drip aclimating? I just want to double check to see how far off my tank will be from yours.

dustin Combs
03/02/2006, 12:21 PM
Salinity is 1.026
temp is 78.9 the light just came on.
NO3 undectable
PO4 .03
pH is 8.2

Travis L. Stevens
03/02/2006, 12:27 PM
Thank you. It looks like I'm not too far off. Mainly just temp acclimating them will be the biggest part. They are bound to cool off on the ride home and then have to be brought back up to 80*F

dustin Combs
03/02/2006, 12:36 PM
sounds good travis.

captbunzo
03/02/2006, 01:03 PM
Do usee an ice chest. :)

MyMonkey
03/02/2006, 01:39 PM
Thanks Dustin. Sorry, I did not read these posts prior to calling you just now. I should be by around 4:30ish. Seems like Temp adjustment will be the my big concern as well.

pwhitby
03/02/2006, 01:56 PM
travis, pick a soda bottle up. Fill with warm water, wrap a towel around it and place it in your ice chest. Makes a simple heat pack.

dustin Combs
03/02/2006, 06:57 PM
Well, I turned the lights off and turned the streams and wave box off for a few minutes until the berghia settled but I forgot to tell the fish not to eat it. 15 bucks in the belly of a yellow tang. CRAP!!!!!

dustin

MyMonkey
03/02/2006, 08:28 PM
Oh man. Sorry. I added mine. Used a little turkey baster. He stuck righ to a rock. Thanks for the efforts Dustin.

Travis L. Stevens
03/03/2006, 08:56 AM
Dustin, thank you for getting them. They ate that food to go on the way home because it wasn't there when we got them out. We temp acclimated them in the baggie for two hours. Every so often we would get the pipette out and add a little tank water until the bag was full. Eventually we opened the bag and let the water circulate around. Yes, I used your tank water, but I'm not worried about it. I sucked them up in a turkey baster and let them crawl out onto a rock near a large group of aiptasia. They must have been full because they headed towards different aiptasia and then ducked under a rock to take a nap :) My two chromis never even knew they entered the tank. Also, for those that have only seen pictures of Berghia sp. You don't know what you are missing. Their real beauty lies in really seeing them in person.

http://www.seaslugforum.net/images/m6472a.jpg

saltyunderground
03/03/2006, 10:34 AM
Hey everyone. I want to thank you for purchasing berghia nubribranchs from us. Thanks to Justin for organizing the buy! We hope they work well for you.

Travis awesome picture!

I quickly read through the thread and wanted to clarify some questions you were discussing. We recommend at least 8 berghia per 100g of water for a moderate to heavy aip problem. With this number you should be able to clean your tank up in about 8 weeks +/-. You want to make sure you get enough berghia so they can find each other to mate and lay eggs. The eggs hatch and continue to populate the tank.

Peppermint shrimp are the most agressive predators for berghia. Although there are exceptions to any rule on fish, coris wrasses and a couple of the psuedochromis are usually the most agressive fish predators.

Other predators include some of the agressive crabs that most people don't have in their tanks. Hermits are not an issue. Also large brittle stars can be a problem.

If you guys decide to make another buy, let us know. We'll try to make it worth your while.

Thanks again and don't hesitate to PM or e-mail us with questions.

Travis L. Stevens
03/03/2006, 11:27 AM
Just for the record, the image I provided is a google searched image that closely matched the ones that I brought home. I'm going to try to get a picture of them later.

captbunzo
03/03/2006, 03:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6871714#post6871714 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by saltyunderground
I quickly read through the thread and wanted to clarify some questions you were discussing. We recommend at least 8 berghia per 100g of water for a moderate to heavy aip problem. With this number you should be able to clean your tank up in about 8 weeks +/-. You want to make sure you get enough berghia so they can find each other to mate and lay eggs. The eggs hatch and continue to populate the tank.

No offense, but I find this advice a little questionable in a couple of regards.

I think the important question is what the minimum number required would be for keeping AHEAD of aiptasia growth in a tank. This shouldn't be about speed because, as stated in the FAQ on the saltyunderground website, these creatures WILL STARVE when the aiptasia is gone from your tank.

Also, the advice about there being enough so that they can find each other and breed is a bit confusing. I don't believe most folks in this thread are attempting to breed them - rather simply solve an aiptasia problem.

Please don't take these comments wrong - I simply want us to be responsible aquarists. And also don't get me wrong, I think that saltyunderground is doing a great service by breeding and selling these beautiful creatures.

captbunzo
03/03/2006, 03:39 PM
More information. For those who have not read this article by Anthony Calfo on Berghia, this is exceptional and well worth the read.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-01/ac/feature/index.php

It answers a couple of the questions I posed above, including why we would want to breed them in an aquarium.... Basically, to keep their population up long enough for them to take care of the aiptasia in a tank. And while I'd guess 8 would be more then sufficient for 100G of tank, I'd wonder what a minimum number would be. As many as 8 seems pretty extreme, with somelike 2-3-4 a more reasonable number.

saltyunderground
03/03/2006, 04:16 PM
Most people who buy berghia from us want to eliminate aiptasia from their tanks in a reasonable amount of time because the aiptasia population is exploding and, in many cases, stinging and killing corals.

The breeding part is important to some people because it will continue to populate their tank until the problem is completely solved.

MyMonkey
03/03/2006, 04:18 PM
Darn. I should have gotten 2 of these little guys.

captbunzo
03/03/2006, 04:29 PM
I wonder how hard it would be to capture these after they have done their job. If it's doable, folks should try and pass (sell, whatever) these on when the little buggers have done their job...... Minimize death as much as possible.

Travis L. Stevens
03/03/2006, 04:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6874307#post6874307 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by saltyunderground
The breeding part is important to some people because it will continue to populate their tank until the problem is completely solved.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6874393#post6874393 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by captbunzo
I wonder how hard it would be to capture these after they have done their job. If it's doable, folks should try and pass (sell, whatever) these on when the little buggers have done their job...... Minimize death as much as possible.

This was the reason why I was so reluctant to get them. We ordered 20 (21 with me) of them and they are all bound to need a good home over time if we can recover them. I also only ordered 2 because I wanted them to breed, or I would have only gotten one. I have a large amount of aiptasia in my tank, and they are mostly large. These two should be fine in my tank for a long time and should breed at least once. This will increase my chances of recovering them if not more of them to pass on to the next person.

Hey saltyunderground, If we are able to recover them after the problem is solved, can we ship them back for partial credit? ;) :D

saltyunderground
03/03/2006, 04:56 PM
There is a good chance you may see some of them in time to collect them. Give them to your freinds and fellow reefers.

Their life span is about 6 months give or take (this can be debated because there has been no research done on their life span that I am aware of). Their most productive egg laying is at the age you have right now.

captbunzo
03/03/2006, 04:58 PM
How old are they when you ship them, typically? And in good tank conditions, how often will they breed? What kind of expectation can you have for keeping them alive?

I think, from what I have read about them this afternoon, that breeding them may be best accomplished by siphoning out eggs and placing them in a seperate tank. Betcha that a standard 10G tank and sponge filter would be appropriate for this.

And if you had enough Aiptasia in your tank, you could just harvest some from there to feed to the babies, though I do remember reading that babies need small food to eat.

Just a thought.

saltyunderground
03/03/2006, 05:09 PM
They are about 6 weeks old when they ship. That's from egg layed to laying eggs themselves. It can vary a little. They are about 6 week old when we ship them.

Assuming good water conditions and if they can find each other in your tank, they can breed and lay eggs every day or two.

The success of hatching the eggs can vary for each tank. Yes they have to have very small food to eat. You can remove the egg strands and place them in a holding container.

Although Anthony Calfo's info is a little dated, it is still the best info available on how to raise berghia.

Travis L. Stevens
03/03/2006, 06:05 PM
Here are some links with some good information.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=633837
http://www.inlandaquatics.com/info/faq_aiptasia.html

dustin Combs
03/03/2006, 06:14 PM
Thanks to all that ordered. I hope they do the job they are supposed to. Please, if you have time, thank Lisa and kevin at Salty underground for their great product. I will probably be ordering again soon If the infestation continues. I have a few more tanks to cover.

dustin and debbie

captbunzo
03/04/2006, 12:38 AM
Also, folks, please report your various levels of success here, please. I'd love to know how fast how many of these go through the stuff in your tanks, etc.

Knyght
03/04/2006, 02:08 PM
I just hope that the one I got stays alive and can at least eliminate part of my aiptasia problem. After acclimation it almost immediately hid.

I have used joe`s juice time and time again only to have them come back in vengence. I have one rock that is impossible to get all them dosed. I think that`s why they keep coming back. It really is getting out of hand, hence the reason I ordered one. I sure don`t have to worry about 1 starving in my tank :D.. kinda wish I had ordered 2 now LOL.

ReeferRyan
03/04/2006, 04:28 PM
Well, mine didn't make it through the night. He started on an aiptasia when I put him in the tank, but today I foud him next to the same aiptasia completely bleached out and dead. I guess I will just buy some more when another member gets rid of their problem.

Travis L. Stevens
03/06/2006, 08:28 AM
After about 5 minutes, mine went from the top of the rock to under a rock, and I haven't seen them since. I haven't noticed any missing aiptasia, either. They might be munching the small, tender ones hiding behind the rocks. Luckily, I don't have any known predators in my display. 2 Chromis that didn't pay attention to them when I added them, no more than 10 hermits, 2 Astrea snails, and a bunch of Illyanassa obsoleta snails.

Bishop
06/06/2006, 06:00 PM
How are these working out? I know some people who desperately need a few... anyone know where to get a few?

JasonF
06/06/2006, 06:55 PM
I didn't order off this order but four of them cleared out my 58 in a few months. You never see them hardly after putting them in they just quietly munch away out of sight. Dr Foster and Smith (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=2421) is selling them now. I can't recall where I got mine.

Travis L. Stevens
06/07/2006, 07:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7511122#post7511122 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bishop
How are these working out? I know some people who desperately need a few... anyone know where to get a few?

After the second day, I never saw mine again. But I also had large aiptasia. I would zap them when I saw them and could reach them. Eventually I got 4 peppermint shrimp and have two left. I only have about 3-5 aiptasia left. But since I never saw them actually eat the aiptasia, I don't know who did more damage; me, berghia, or peppermint shrimp

papagimp
06/07/2006, 11:29 AM
Anybody know if using a 2 gallon hex tank (one of petsmart cheapies) would be effecient in starting an aptasia culture? I'd like a couple berghia in my tank but unless I was able to keep enough food for em it would be pointless. How would aptasia's do in a setup without the best of water quality? lighting? any thoughts people?

Travis L. Stevens
06/07/2006, 11:41 AM
Actually, berghia are voracious eaters. You might actually need a 10g tank to culture enough of them. Especially if you planned on breeding them. When I get some extra time, I'll try to find a link. But in the Advanced Topics section you should be able to find a Berghia breeding project thread that covers all the issues.

papagimp
06/08/2006, 11:18 AM
I had found a website on breeding the little bugger but for the life of me I can't remember where it's at. I'm not really considering breeding them, I'd just like a couple, if they do breed than just more livestock to donate to COMAS. While we're on the topic of nudis, anybody else have any problems with there lettuce nudi's jumping down the drain tube of the overflow and into there sumps or refugiums? I've had to pull my little bugger out of there so often and he never listens when I scold him.

Travis L. Stevens
06/08/2006, 11:20 AM
Nudibranchs of various kinds tend to have a wierd attraction to suicide. Powerheads, overflows, pumps, etc seem to draw them in like a magnet. It's nothing unusual, but definitely one of the largest risks of keeping nudibranchs.

padixon2
06/15/2006, 01:22 PM
if u want some aptasias...i have TONS! i gave up the battle and now have an aptasia reef :(