PDA

View Full Version : How to move an anemone

mckeec
02/24/2006, 07:36 AM
I have a flower anemone and it's foot is attached way deep in a hole in my rock. I would like to relocate him but have no idea how to get him out of where he is. Can I simply try to grap hold and pull? That sounds like a bad idea to me but have no experience with this issue. Any suggestions/experiences.

Lpabsolute
02/24/2006, 07:47 AM
Yes, the grab and pull method is not a good thing. I know first hand that you can damage your anemone by just pulling it from the LiveRock. It might not look bad but will soon die. Happened to me once. I noticed that when i bought my anemone from the LFS they just simply "tickled" or "rubbed" their hands against it for about 5 minutes until it let go on it's own. I've also tried this with no luck. I'm not sure how to get it off the LiveRock if it's firmly attatched. Good Luck and let me know what you come up with. Someone on here should be able to answer your question.

wojo
02/24/2006, 07:55 AM
wish i had this problem, my anemone is all over my tank :)

Lpabsolute
02/24/2006, 07:58 AM
I know, i was thinking for my next anemome i would have him on a small rock on my sandbed so that he wouldn't be able to move far. Heard that they only attatch well to LiveRock and would't move that much on the sandbed. I wouldn't have a prob. since i've got plenty of light on my tank. I'm talking about getting a small bubble anemone. Does this sound like a good idea?

Lyscer
02/24/2006, 09:26 AM
I read somewhere once that you can take a piece of ice(Frozen RO) and stick it near the foot. It will disolve quickly but supposedly the foot will realease sometime. I have never tried it but thought it was an interesting theory.

AdidaKev
02/24/2006, 09:28 AM
If you're really set on moving your anemone, you can gently run your fingers between the anemone's base and the rock (if it is in a position where you can reach it). However, the anemone will probably not stay where you put it and might even go right back to where it was. I think it would be wise to leave it alone.

A bubble anemone would be okay, but again, it's probably going to move where it is most comfortable, not necessarily where you put it.

RonD
02/24/2006, 09:57 AM
you could try putting a power head close to it and blowing water at it.... they like only so much water movement, that may help it make a move.