PDA

View Full Version : Qt?

jslomo420
02/24/2006, 08:28 AM
I'm setting up a tank for a couple clowns this weekend and a friend wants me to use this tank to QT a tang for him. The QT we usually use is a 10g and the tank I'm setting up is a 20g and he thinks it would be better for the tang. I agree but I plan on using live rock and sand in the clown tank should I QT the tang in it before I put the rock and sand in it or will it matter or is the 10g okay to QT a tang in? Thanks

jslomo420
02/24/2006, 10:47 AM
bump

todd2000
02/24/2006, 01:59 PM
If you QT the tang in the 20, I would clean it out, and steralize it B4 you use it for your clown tank, especially if the tang comes down with ick etc..... Also if you have LR/Sand in the QT tank, and you have to treat the tang, you won't be able to use the LR/Sand in your clown tank, so why bother? Im going to be getting a baby Blue tang, and will be QTing in a 10G, as long as he is small a 10 should be fine for QT for a few weeks.

jslomo420
02/24/2006, 02:10 PM
Thats what I was worried about was if I had to treat the tang for anything. That would put cycling the tank for the clowns take that much longer. I'm going to try to talk him into using the 10g. that way he can do it at his place and I won't have to worry if something happens. I normally start my QT with water from my main tank is that OK?

todd2000
02/24/2006, 02:17 PM
Using tank water is a good idea for QT, just make sure to keep an eye on ammonia, etc... and do water changes frequently to keep it in check, since the QT tank woun't really be cycled, the water from the main tank will have some bacteria in it but not really enough.