PDA

View Full Version : ich / water temp.

Reliable1
02/24/2006, 10:26 AM
I recently put togeteher a 90 gal reef tank and have a blue tang, 3 chromis, and a maroon clown. The blue tang was given to me with ich but has recovered from it. Now the clown has it. It has been eating fine but it does not go away.

Also, th temperature in my tank has been going from 77 up to 81. I was told to add fans and turn them on while the lights are on. Will this help me maintain temp. under 80.

Please help.

thanks

Jon770
02/24/2006, 10:55 AM
Yes, the fan should help...although I'm not sure it will be 100% effective. You might need to get a chiller to keep the temp down...especially in the summer months down here.

Or, alternatively, you can set your heater to a warmer temp (closer to 80). That way there won't be such a fluctuation. From what I hear, some people run successful reefs with temps as high as 82-83...

Rogger Castells
02/24/2006, 12:58 PM
Crank your temperature up to 85, for about two weeks, start feeding the fish food mix with natural garlic pressed in a garlic press, after the two weeks bring the temperature slowly down to what you prefer to run your tank. IMO depending on the kind of animals you are keeping in your tank, most corals and fishes will addapt just fine to temperatures ranging from 76 to 83, the most important thing is to keep it stable as possible. I like to keep the tank temperature at 80 degrees.

Jon770
02/24/2006, 01:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6817186#post6817186 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rogger Castells
Crank your temperature up to 85, for about two weeks, start feeding the fish food mix with natural garlic pressed in a garlic press, after the two weeks bring the temperature slowly down to what you prefer to run your tank. IMO depending on the kind of animals you are keeping in your tank, most corals and fishes will addapt just fine to temperatures ranging from 76 to 83, the most important thing is to keep it stable as possible. I like to keep the tank temperature at 80 degrees. Don't you think bringing the temp from 77 to 85 will freak/stress the fish out even more? It seems like a bit much to me, but then again compared to your hobby experience I am a major newbie...

Can corals/inverts/etc...survive at 85 for weeks at a time?

Rogger Castells
02/24/2006, 01:36 PM
Jon, the temperature needs to be increased slowly as well, I guess I did not specify that, yes most animals will be just find for a short period of time at that temperature. The temperature increase will speed up the ich cycle wich should last 7 to 12 days, this may not be a method that is described in books but it has worked for me each time I have encountered ich breakouts.
I do not advised medicine, an in most cases once you have treated like this the fish developes immunity to ich and fights it on it own.

bawla47
03/26/2006, 10:18 PM
roger, did sps fair well with the increase with you?

how long should you take to raise the temperture up?

thanks

Rogger Castells
03/26/2006, 11:16 PM
Yeah, the sps are harder animals than we think. As long as your tank is doing good in the first place the sps's will not harm from the temporary rise in temp.