PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!

HartfordWhalers
02/24/2006, 10:33 AM
I have a 20 gallon reef tank with a refugium. Hang on refugium currently with no light. I just took the water out of my 38 salt water tank. Would it be okay to put a chocolate chip star in the refugium. Chocolate Chip stars are not reef safe but would it be okay to put it in the refugium, that i started yesterday with only live sand in it?!?!?!?!

Thanks in advance

~Andrew

rustybucket145
02/24/2006, 10:38 AM
Probably won't survive, do you have a friend with a fish only tank that could baby-sit until the other tank is back up? Maybee try to get the LFS to babysit?

EDIT: sorry I think I read your post wrong. Is the refugium on an established tank? If it is yes the starfish should survive but it will probably wipe out any pods or critters you have in the refugium. Also Choc-Chips can climb so I would be worried about the Star-fish somehow getting to the main tank.

rustybucket145
02/24/2006, 10:44 AM
I think I confused myself.... Is it the refugium that is new or is it the 20gal that is new or both?

stevedola
02/24/2006, 10:46 AM
So let me get this straight-
youre setting up a HOB fuge and want to add a CC star> why?
these stars grow to be large and need an area larger than 4x16. also have been know to eat snails and many diferent species of LPS/softies.

Personally, I wouldnt put a star in my fuge. I use my fuge for nutrient export and pod reproduction.

HartfordWhalers
02/24/2006, 10:53 AM
I took my tank down that was not a reef. I currently have 2 reefs up. I have a new refugium that i setup yesterday with no light. Would that be considerede reef. It would only be for a little bit cuz im setting it back up again. But can i put the star in the refugium for 1 day or 2

stevedola
02/24/2006, 11:10 AM
1 day? yes.

mr pink floyd
02/24/2006, 11:37 AM
ok here he was a 20 gallon which is a reef, has been set up, a refugium he just put on yesterday(i helped), and a new 12 jbj he jus tset up yesterday too, if you need me to andrew i can keep it in my 10, once i move all my stuff back to the 29 after the sandstorm dies

stevedola
02/25/2006, 04:43 PM
just be warned that CC stars eat corals.

HartfordWhalers
02/25/2006, 05:43 PM
Ok thanks Mikey buts its in my brother tank now