PDA

View Full Version : ro/di filter replacement

aquaman2
02/24/2006, 12:21 PM
well my tds reads 4-5 so its time to replace the di resin. the filter is bout 7 months old, is there any other parts of the filter i should replace when i get the di resin?

speedracer02
02/24/2006, 12:25 PM
^

Entropy
02/24/2006, 12:30 PM
Yeah, everything except the membrane IMO. Two charcoal filters, a micron filter, and a taste filter more than likely. You can get complete kits off eBay for about $25 (or less), but they usually do not include the DI.

aquaman2
02/24/2006, 12:41 PM
i got the one from filter direct that has 2 di chambers. should i fill them both. i was thinking that i would fill one and test w/ tds. but if i got 0 from tds from just the one chamber would the di resin have half the life span then if i was using twice the resin by using both chambers?

and how often do you replace the ro membrane

Entropy
02/24/2006, 01:12 PM
Fill both IMO. If you are reading tds after the DI, both chambers are used up. It doesn't make sense to run a used up chamber along side a new one IMO.

aquaman2
02/24/2006, 01:26 PM
i meant to run one empty. so only use half the di then i would if i filled both. would this give half the life of using both chambers new?

robitreef
02/24/2006, 01:56 PM
When you say your TDS meter reads 4 or 5 are you talking the parts per thousand? My TDS on my RO/DI is 1-2 for the DI and 3 for the RO. Tap is 220. Mine has been running for a year now. Aren't you still getting a pretty good quality at 4 or 5?

aquaman2
02/24/2006, 02:01 PM
parts per million

i tought 4-5 was pretty good too but i lightly skimmed some threads and they were talking like you should be getting 0, and i have been having some algea recently so.......

robitreef
02/24/2006, 02:07 PM
Getting 0 ppm sounds possible only in a perfect world, considering that when you ad salt your tds will go up. I get algae as well but not in large ammounts, so I still use phosphate remover. Plus I have a nano with three fish and feed daily.
Again Tap water is usually between 200-300 depending where you live, so 4-5 is still a great improvement over tap. Just MO.

The only thing I heard to be concerned about is to replace the chlorine filter regularly as chlorine may damage the membrane.

aquaman2
02/24/2006, 02:12 PM
chlorine filter ????????

robitreef
02/24/2006, 02:23 PM
Sorry I meant the taste and oder filter, I can't remember-that could be a carbon filter. I have a filter direct (actually a Water General) and I had asked them about changing the filters and they told me that you should do it at least once a year because of chlorine damaging the membrane.

I will email them to clarify.

szwab
02/24/2006, 09:07 PM
you shoul replace all the prefilters and both DI chambers they won't cut the life in half if there is nothing to take out after the first the second chamber will "wait until" there is something to take out. it is kind of like a fail safe.
if running a RO/DI you should replace the DI once the TDS gets up to 2. The prefilters should be every 6 months or when the pressure drops on the filter.