PDA

View Full Version : New Wave T5 fixture

Adrian
02/24/2006, 01:32 PM
I also posted this in the lighting forum but didnt get any good feed back. Any opinions on this unit? Of course I would be getting different bulbs, but I figured for around $184 this system couldnt be that bad as it seems to be the same compared to the tek fixture minus the fancy housing and seperate on/off switches...

http://specialty-lights.com/960200.html

Julio
02/24/2006, 02:44 PM
sounds like a good deal, makes me want to try it. It doesn seem to be very good in comparison to the Tek 5

brentp
02/24/2006, 05:53 PM
<b>Reflector</b> is made of German 95% reflective aluminum

It looks to me like it is cheaper because it has a single reflector.

Johnsteph10
02/24/2006, 06:12 PM
The whole point of T5 and why they are so good is because of the individual parabolic reflectors.

Adrian
02/24/2006, 06:22 PM
Reflector is made of German 95% reflective aluminum

This is the exact statement made about the Tek light made for aquarium use, which is why i assumed they were similar other than the housing. Does the Tek fixture not come with individual reflectors?

d4a2n0k
02/24/2006, 07:01 PM
The Tek fixtures do come with individual reflectors. The fixture you posted looks like it only has one reflector though.

It says "reflector is made of German 95% reflective aluminum" not reflector'S. They might be made out of the same material but you will lose all the benifits of T-5's with only a single reflector.

Adrian
02/24/2006, 07:42 PM
Maybe this will help with what Im saying, compare the new wave with the tek and tell me the difference....

http://www.specialty-lights.com/t5-grow-lights-compare.html

I got this from the description of the aquarium model Tek light...

Exclusive 9-bend reflector is made of German 95% reflective aluminum

http://www.specialty-lights.com/teklightaqua.html

Is this different from the Tek fixtures others are using?

brentp
02/24/2006, 07:49 PM
Tek Light
95% reflective aluminum 9-bend reflector increases output by over 300%

New Wave
Reflector is made of German 95% reflective aluminum

Those are the descriptions of the reflectors from each product on the site you linked. Not exactly the same.

Adrian
02/24/2006, 07:57 PM
The tek reflector still sounds like its only reflector with nine bends rather than mutiple reflectors? Ive email sunlight supply about it, hopefully they will get back to me...

brentp
02/24/2006, 08:07 PM
Each tek reflector has nine bends...

I have 7 of them over my tank.

boarder
02/25/2006, 05:31 AM
I use a new wave 24" 4 bulb. The reflector is made from a single piece of aluminum. For the center two bulbs there is only a single bend on each. For the two outer bulbs there are four bends on each. It replaced a 130W Orbit light...

It is noticably brighter... I'm hoping it will be sufficient for better growth on my sps.

Adrian
02/25/2006, 01:06 PM
Each tek reflector has nine bends...

The reflector is made from a single piece of aluminum. For the center two bulbs there is only a single bend on each. For the two outer bulbs there are four bends on each.

Thanks guys ;)