PDA

View Full Version : My DIY fuge plan questions?

beaker77
02/24/2006, 02:32 PM
I would appreciate any suggestions anyone has before I start to build my refugium. I have a standard 75g tank.

Here is the refugium plan:
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/91472refugium2.jpg

I plan on having an Amiricle 600gph overflow drain from my tank to the left side of the fuge. There will also be a ASM G3 in this chamber.

QUESTION: With the ASM recirc mod the overflow should drain directly into the skimmer, right?

The middle will be your run of the mill refugium with live sand and cheato.

The right hand side will have a QuietOne 3000 as a return.

Thanks

alien9168
02/24/2006, 04:39 PM
looks cool!

:D

-alien

beaker77
02/25/2006, 07:14 AM
Thanks alien.

Anyone know if a 600gph overflow is going to be enough flow?

reverendmaynard
02/25/2006, 07:47 AM
600 gph is plenty. You don't really want any more flow than that through a sump that size. The pump might be a little oversized, depending on the head, but you can dial it back.

The only thing I would say about the sump design is that the return section is undersized. There's no room between the pump and the baffles, a possible micro bubble problem. Also, the size of that section deterrmines how much leeway you have for evaporation. If you have a very reliable auto-topoff setup, you might get away with it, but for manual topoff, you might have to topoff twice a day, because you'll only have a gallon or so between max level and run-dry. If you can, reduce the skimmer compartment. If you need that size for your skimmer, you'll have to reduce the fuge.

alien9168
02/25/2006, 09:13 AM
rev. is right!

You have more than enough flow!

Dont put anymore flow through it. Its perfect the way it is! :D

-I agree though that u may want to dial it back.
:D
-alien

beaker77
02/25/2006, 09:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6823222#post6823222 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reverendmaynard
The pump might be a little oversized, depending on the head, but you can dial it back.

Would you recommend a different pump?

The only thing I would say about the sump design is that the return section is undersized. There's no room between the pump and the baffles, a possible micro bubble problem.

How much wider do you recommend I make the return section? I could make the fuge about 2 inches tall if need be.

Also, the size of that section deterrmines how much leeway you have for evaporation. If you have a very reliable auto-topoff setup, you might get away with it, but for manual topoff, you might have to topoff twice a day, because you'll only have a gallon or so between max level and run-dry. If you can, reduce the skimmer compartment. If you need that size for your skimmer, you'll have to reduce the fuge.

I could only make the skimmer section about a 1/2 inch smaller.
Do you think removing the second baffel to the return section will help or just cause more problems.

Thank you so much for you input reverendmaynard.

reverendmaynard
02/26/2006, 07:21 AM
np, beaker.

I'd say a mag5 would probably work, but it depends on the head and plumbing you use. Generaly you only need 3-5X display volume to go through the sump. So, anywhere from 225gph to 375gph should be enough. Try the head loss calculator to see what your setup should pump with different pumps. Theres a link on the home page of rc.

Is there any reason you can't make the sump taller than that? Every inch of height will add over 2 gallons of total capacity. I suppose your skimmer needs a water height of 10". If it does, consider that you can use something as a riser under it to raise it to the correct height if you do make it deeper.

You should check out this link (http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html) , there's dozens of sump designs. Look at some that have the return in the middle, with split overflows going to the skimmer and refugium at opposite ends. This way, you can get exactly the flow you're looking for in the fuge, which is not something that's easy to do when it's a straight through design like yours.