PDA

View Full Version : EcoSystem

DanMin
02/24/2006, 07:49 PM
Has anyone tried the EcoSystem Miracle Mud filtration system? If so how do you like it? I'm contemplating using it in my next set up (300 gal reef).

old salty
02/24/2006, 07:55 PM
I am using it in my 125. I made my own sump to save on costs. I recently installed a Deltec skimmer (four month mark.) The water is a bit clearer than without the skimmer. It's only been running for a week, so I have no noticable observations other than it's pulling quite a bit of nasty stuff from the water. My nitrates are zero and have been this way since the beginning. I have zero algae issues in the display and actually have a hard time getting the Culerpa to grow. I have seeded the fuge three times and the large algae seems to die back, leaving a lot of small leaves throughout.

So far, I am impressed with it. I added the skimmer as an experiment more than anything else; not because I thought I needed it. Corals were growing just fine without it. I am moving towards an SPS dominated tank and from what I have read, they tend to like cleaner water.

tom obrecht
02/24/2006, 08:40 PM
I used it years back on a 180. The tank had had a very bad bryopsis issue that I couldn't get a grasp on. After I installed the Ecosystem within weeks the algae disappeared. After about 1 1/2 years and partial mud replacements the effectiveness of the system subsided so I went back to the Berlin method of which I still use today. For me it worked great for the first 18 months then slowly become fair at best.

Fernando Chang
02/24/2006, 08:50 PM
Dan Min , I used the miracle mud for almost 2 years with great results. however when I changed the half of the mud then the problems started. now I am using a regular sand with some very small rocks with macroalgae in my fuge.

Regards
Fernando Chang

Sparkysreef
02/24/2006, 08:56 PM
Have one on my 180 for 3 yrs and still in use. Use a skimmer. going to bed now will eloborate on my experinces later.