PDA

View Full Version : Coralife Skimmer/Micro Bubbles-HELP!!!

precisionmike
02/24/2006, 08:54 PM
I recently purchased a Coralife 220 for my 55. I don't have a sump, so Iam using as HOB. No matter what I do, I still get a bunch of micro bubbles into hte tank-can't stand it! Here is what I tried that works the best, but still sucks...
-I have the return box rim .25" above water line; as per instuctions.
-I have the white padding in the bottom of the return box.
-Here is where it gets weird-I took the black foam and positioned it vertically in the return box and have the return water hose shoved between the foam and the return box wall.
This set up is the best I can do.
Anyone know a way to ELIMINATE these micro bubbles, other than move the skimmer to a sump. THANKS in advance for your advice, mike.

Danster
02/24/2006, 09:18 PM
I have the same skimmer and I know what your talking about. But I use mine in my sump so its not as big of a problem. I wish I could give you some advice since you don't have a sump I just not sure what you can do. Sorry.

yoboyjdizz
02/24/2006, 09:20 PM
not to steal your thread but i just got the 125 version and use it as a hang on as well but i can't seem to get it to work, it just fills up with water..?

precisionmike
02/24/2006, 09:32 PM
yoboyjdizz- I found that the pump intake vs. the water line is crutial. If the pump is too deep into the tank, it won't skim. A half inch can make a difference. Also check the small clear airhose to make sure no kinks. Hope this help, mike.

davocean
02/25/2006, 12:01 PM
Masterswimmer has some mods for these skimmers.
Try lighting/ filtration forum.
I have it bookmarked, just don't know how to get it to you.
Bubble difuser on these is kinda weak, otherwise my CSS220 works great.
Yoboyjdizz; instructions on mine say make sure top of pump is
3 to 4" below surface.
Don't know how long you've had it, but mine took a few days to break in

KevinM
02/25/2006, 12:39 PM
davocean,
Go to the link, copy the address from the bar, and post it.

Kev

davocean
02/25/2006, 01:11 PM
http//www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=781376
I saw what you're looking for in lighting/filtration forum
page31, then like page 9 of posts
Look for masterswimmer remarks
He's got mods down for these

steve the plumb
02/25/2006, 01:19 PM
I keep the pump about 1 1/2 inches below water surface.I also have it in my sump so not as much bubbles.If the skimmer is brand knew it will make more bubbles until it breaks in.I know the newer models come with a bubble trap and sponge.Mine didn't.You will have to play with the intake knob to adjust skimmate.Make sure you clean pump and impeller every so often.Also clean the small intake (air)hole.It will build up salt resedue after a few months of use.

mojojason
02/25/2006, 05:59 PM
First thing to do is head to the coralife site and download the updated instructions. coralife super skimmer (http://www.esuweb.com/subcategory.asp?ESUSubCompany=Coralife&Catagory=Super%20Skimmer&RelationID=107)
There where some updates that were not in my boxed instructions. Including cuting the output elbow.

I had micro bubbles for about 5 or 6 days. Once the unit was broken in they cleared up.

davocean
02/25/2006, 06:11 PM
The bubble difuser could be improved IMO
Still a great skimmer, especially for the price.
Well worth doing a couple simple mods
Masterswimmer has some really good mods and excellent step by step pics.
Worth checking out