PDA

View Full Version : ugh......

_Sooner_2
02/25/2006, 07:22 AM
Man, kids' band contests start early...........

:sleep:

MyMonkey
02/25/2006, 07:31 AM
You mean, they actually have band contests for kids?

rdonchann
02/25/2006, 07:40 AM
I remember those days. All Region, All State and lots of marching contests. Not to mention solo contests. I was booster club president, my wife was vice president. Now my daughter is a college band nerd studying to be a director.

_Sooner_2
02/25/2006, 10:23 AM
Yep, can keep you busy. Today was solos and ensembles. I guess one nice thing about going first is that you get to come home earlier. Nap time now.

And yes monkey, they start 'em young. My son is in 7th grade, my daughter is in 6th...both grades have full band and solo contests even that young.

luvabunny
02/26/2006, 08:39 PM
Wait til they're old enough to march but not old enough to drive. Marching season starts in July with 2-a-days. Then when school finally starts they can't take the bus 'cause of morning sectionals, and oh yes, there will be after school practice too. Don't forget also about all of the Fridays you give up attending or working concessions at the football games, then going to parades or marching competitions on Sat.
But, I have to say,

MUSTANG NIGHTRIDERS MARCHING BAND ROCKS!!!

Brandino007
02/26/2006, 08:45 PM
My school doesnt even have a REAL music class(but it I really dont care just wish we had football though)

_Sooner_2
02/26/2006, 09:40 PM
Yer right April....we're already working concessions for lil league cheer, middle school football & basketball booster clubs, and now band.

Where we live, Blanchard, they start practicing for Marching Band in 8th grade. The 8th graders work the 'pit'...the instruments on the side lines. 9th and up march. Is way cool...our kids compete against the large schools. They recently took home the "Superior" rating from the Lawton Band Masters comp. It may be an extra pain, but I honestly can't wait. :)

Ronnie

luvabunny
02/26/2006, 10:05 PM
It's worth it. My son is a junior, and has already gotten a scholarship offer for SWOSU to play bass guitar in their jazz band.

Congrats on the superior rating. I'm sure there will be plenty more to come!

_Sooner_2
02/26/2006, 10:18 PM
Congrats to your son also! :)

I'm going to show my kids what you wrote. Zach has brought home all superiors in his young career. He was also first chair regional honor band this year. I'll show him what the hard work and practice have done for your son.

My daughter starts her comps in the spring, I'll share this with her as well.

:)

rdonchann
02/27/2006, 07:53 AM
If she makes All State those letters will come from everywhere. We got letters that said, you show up for school and we will take care of you.

rdonchann
02/27/2006, 07:54 AM
Correction: he