PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Stocking Plan (by captbunzo)

captbunzo
02/25/2006, 12:58 PM
Hey folks. I have seen one of these once or twice in a store, and on LiveAquaria, and am tempted to add one (eventually) to my 55G tank that I recently setup. I am talking about a Sandhopper Blenny (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1714) (Parapercis snyderi). LiveAquaria also claims them to be known as a Red Stripe Sand Perch.

Now, I suppose this isn't complete without discussing the other fish I have and have planned for the tank.

To start off with, I have the following fish currently in the tank. These were the survivors from a cracked tank that happened in December.
   A. 2 Ocellaris Clownfish (false percs)
   B. 1 Yellowtail Damselfish

And I have been thinking about adding the following, in time:
   C. 3 Pajama Cardinalfish (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=85)
   D. 1 Sandhopper Blenny (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1714)
   E. 1 Scopas Tang (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=85)

And it REALLY won't be complete without considering other critters in the tank.

Current Corals: (They hotelled at an office tank after the tank crash, but had to get put back into the home tank a little sooner then intended due to a heat problem in the aluminum building I work in. They are all doing great, though....)
   F. Various Ricordea & Zoanthids
   G. 2 Euphyliads (1 Hammer Coral & 1 Frogspawn)
   H. 1 Candycane Coral
   I. 2 Sun Coral (1 Orange, 1 Black)
   J. Green Star Polyps

Planned Corals: (these are all maybes)
   K. Branching Alveopora (love these)
   L. Brain Coral, some sort of branching SPS, and some sort of plated SPS

Shrimp: (not yet, but planned for later)
   M. 3-5 Peppermint Shrimp (don't want to overdo it, but like the idea of having a nice group of them)
   N. 1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
   O. 1 Banded Coral Shrimp (added last, a month or 2 or 3 after the other shrimp)

Other Invertebrates:
   P. 1 Feather Duster (may add 1-2 more later)
   Q. Various Snails (nassarius vibex, 2 mexican turbos, others to be added later)
   R. Handful of Hermit Crabs (I know they can be trouble, but I like them - probably have 4-8 (not quite sure))
   S. 1 Serpent Star currently, plan to 2 more stars later (serpent and/or brittle)
   T. 1 Derasa Clam (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=529) to be added later (maybe a bad idea)
   U. 1 Blue Tuxedo Pincushion Urchin (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=595) (don't know if a 55 can generate enough coralline to feed this, eh?)

Macroalgae:
   V. Chaeto, currently in refugium
   W. Halimeda, currently in tank. Coin variety attached to a rock
   X. Gracilaria - would love to add some to the new, bigger sump that I build .... IF I get a tang
   Y. Octodes - would love to add to main tank... Darn, it's purty. Maybe won't happen.
   Z. Other Calcarius Algae - mermaid's fan and shaving brush plant (1-2 of each - maybe in refugium)

Gee, that was thorough. Anyhow, this is now everyone's chance to beat on me, er, advise me as to what I should and shouldn't do, etc. I am quite open to input, suggestions, criticism, etc. Also, I know that these sorts of plans usually change a lot between inception and incarnation, but you know. :)

Travis L. Stevens
02/27/2006, 08:59 AM
Your Redstriped Perch will most likely be a bad idea. It will eat your invertebrates. And, it might be a little late now, but with the other future additions, especially the shrimp, the Coral Banded Shrimp could become aggressive and kill these. Other than that, I really don't see anything too far out.

captbunzo
02/27/2006, 09:41 AM
Well, I haven't bought anything since I posted that a couple of days ago. Shame on the perch - looks like an interesting fish.

I have heard that Coral Banded Shrimp can get aggressive, but for some reason am foolishly interested anyhow. I guess partially I would just like to put a shrimp in there besides the standard safe bets - peppermint and skunk cleaner shrimp.

Thanks for your thoughts, Travis!

Travis L. Stevens
02/27/2006, 09:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6837931#post6837931 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by captbunzo
Well, I haven't bought anything since I posted that a couple of days ago. Shame on the perch - looks like an interesting fish.

I have heard that Coral Banded Shrimp can get aggressive, but for some reason am foolishly interested anyhow. I guess partially I would just like to put a shrimp in there besides the standard safe bets - peppermint and skunk cleaner shrimp.

Thanks for your thoughts, Travis!

They might end up being fish chow, but have you thought about getting something like a Sexy Shrimp, Fire Shrimp, or Pistol Shrimp?

captbunzo
02/27/2006, 09:50 AM
I have. Don't remember why I wasn't considering either the sexy or fire shrimp more, at the moment. A pistol is always fun, especially with a corresponding goby. Who knows, might take a chance with the Coral Banded anyhow. :)

So, Travis, any tips on a substitute fish instead of the Sandhopper Perch?

Travis L. Stevens
02/27/2006, 10:32 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6837975#post6837975 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by captbunzo
I have. Don't remember why I wasn't considering either the sexy or fire shrimp more, at the moment. A pistol is always fun, especially with a corresponding goby. Who knows, might take a chance with the Coral Banded anyhow. :)

So, Travis, any tips on a substitute fish instead of the Sandhopper Perch?

It depends. What substrate will you have? If you have one, how deep? Do you mind the substrate being disturbed?

I'm thinking something like a goby or a blenny as a good substitute. All in all, I would actually just leave the sandperch out. 3 PJ Cards, 1 Scopas, 2 Clowns, and a damsel in a 55g. The beauty is in the corals, IMHO.

captbunzo
02/27/2006, 10:49 AM
I agree - the fish are just there so that you have something moving, eh? :)

I have a moderate depth sand bed. Sugar fine oolitic arogonite about 2-3 inches deep. I don't mind it being disturbed. Sand sifting gobies are always fun. I've also considered the pistol/goby pair, a red scooter blenny, or an engineer goby (convict blenny).

Heck, I could jump off the deep end and get a tiger tail cucumber. However, I am pretty against getting cukes for such small tanks, so that would be like joining the dark sude...

Travis L. Stevens
02/27/2006, 11:08 AM
If you get a cucumber, you could get a gonad eating butt fish (I couldn't resist bringing in a joke from the lounge) er uh...I mean a pearlfish. You could also look into getting a type of wrasse. Six Line, Flasher, and Fairy Wrasse are always good, peaceful choices.

captbunzo
02/27/2006, 11:17 AM
Had a pair of flasher wrasse. They were beautiful and perfectly peaceful, bit hid all of the time. MAYBE that would be better in a larger tank... But I hate to spend money on fish that I never get to enjoy.

Well, never may be an exageration...... But you know.

Travis L. Stevens
02/27/2006, 11:27 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6838613#post6838613 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by captbunzo
Had a pair of flasher wrasse. They were beautiful and perfectly peaceful, bit hid all of the time. MAYBE that would be better in a larger tank... But I hate to spend money on fish that I never get to enjoy.

Well, never may be an exageration...... But you know.

Firefish, too. But they have the tendency to hide as well. And jump like most wrasses as well.