PDA

View Full Version : 24 Gallon Aquapod Internal Protein Skimmer

rgrasso
02/25/2006, 01:45 PM
Hey just joined RC and wanted to share my Aquapod knowledge. I have a 24 gallon pod (compact fluor) model. Although my first one arrived in pieces from Fost&Smith the second one arrived in one piece and has been running great for two weeks. The shipping packaging is a little sparse for a glass aquarium of this size.

Anyway, I have struggled over how to install a protein skimmer for the last two weeks and finally came up with a pretty good system.
I purchased a Visi-Jet PS 100 (rated up to 70gall) for $30.00 and it fits perfectly in the sump area with a few modifications. Turn the pump 90 degrees so that is slim-linned to fit in the sump. remove the top PVC chamber that the collection cup sits on and replace with a #9 rubber stopper that has a hole in the middle ( I got mine from a beer making supply store, they are made to fit into a carboy for the check valve) Then purchase about a foot or more of thin walled 1/2 inch clear plastic (not rubber) tubing, same plastic as those used in undergravel filters. I got mine from a local Ace Harware, but most aquarium shops should have them (check to see that the collection cup hole will fit over the tube. Drill a 1/2 inch hole in the back right corner of pod's hood 1 1/4 inches in from the back and 1 1/4 inches in from the right. Drill from the inside out as to not hit the light cover. Slip the plastic tube through and push through rubber stopper. Slip the skimmer collection cup over the tube and cut so that the collection cup lid fits. As a safeguard put an o-ring over the tube inside the collection cup. I also siliconed a 2 inch end cap of schedule 40 PVC #2118 that the collection cup fits into perfectly in case the o-ring fails. A little flow and air adjusting and you are all set. A good fit and out of the way skimmer for the Aquapod, Current USA's fission skimmer is only rated for 12 gallons, making this Visi-Jet modificatio more practical. Email me if you pics or advice.

Rob

rljlll
02/25/2006, 01:59 PM
actually the fission nano skimmers are rated for up to a 30 gal system and they are made for the 12 & 24 nanos FYI

smy168
02/25/2006, 02:07 PM
I'm having a difficult time wityh my Fission for my 24, lots of bubbles and not too clear on position according to water level. any suggestions?

rgrasso
02/25/2006, 02:18 PM
Most of sites I found only ratethe fission up to 12g (see link below) and local shops warned of having to empty the collection more frequently.

I am sure the fission would work fine in the 24g, but I think a larger skimmer gives you more benefits like better contact time with the Visi-Jet's 15" Tube vs. the 4-5" fissions'.

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_protein_skimmers_current_usa_fission_nano_skimmer.asp?ast=&key=

rgrasso
02/25/2006, 02:30 PM
SY,
I haven't used the fission, but most of my adjustment issues have revolved around the water level. Mostly because the Aquapod's light cover comes so close to the surface of the water I cannot sit the skimmer at the surface. You could try lowering the tank's water level slightly to see if that helps.

rgrasso
02/25/2006, 03:01 PM
You can also use an airline control valve ($1-$2) on your tubing to give you more air intake cotrol if the fission doesn't come with one

icenine2005
02/25/2006, 06:16 PM
Can you post pics?

rgrasso
02/26/2006, 01:34 PM
I just posted some pics in the gallery.
I also noted that the rubber stopper I used is a #9 1/2 not a #9 as I previously stated
Rob

mbierzyc
02/27/2006, 02:29 PM
rjill,

the fission is rated for 12gal, says so on my box.

rgrasso
02/27/2006, 04:27 PM
Here is the url for the visi-jet

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4427&ref=3532&subref=AV&N=2004+113771

FYI: F&S catalog says 15" high..that's w/out the collection cup so its really closer 18-19"

schristi69
02/27/2006, 04:49 PM
Kind of an ugly mod. Wonder if you could section out a piece of the chamber to shorten it? Or build a cap with just a tube connection to run to an external collection bucket and do away with the stock collection cup.

rgrasso
03/03/2006, 10:36 AM
Without the sch 40 (white) endcap its pretty hidden and not as prominent, I plan to either find a black end cap to replace it or remove it all together. In my naivete I did originally shorten the chamber so that the whole unit would fit, but it was too far below the water line and just blew all the bubbles out the bottom of the contact chamber. I tried hooking up an adjustable air pump to increase pressure to no avail. So i siliconed the section I cut back together and went with this modification. I am sure anyone could rig a system for an external collection system that would work and look a little better. I intially tried an external collection cup (out-of-sight) but the skimmate would build up at any 90 degree bends and required more adjusting and seemed to be less efficient than a straight design. Other than that Its working great!

rgrasso
03/12/2006, 01:59 PM
Since the search feature is down, thought I'd bring this back to the front since a few people inquired. Still running well