PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Yardright Tropical Playsand

fish1219
02/25/2006, 03:50 PM
Hello,
Does anyone know where I can find Yardright Tropical Playsand in the Binghamton area or does anyone have any for sale. Looking for a couple of bags. It used to be Southdown -> Old Castle -> Yardright.

Thanks.

drbronx
02/25/2006, 05:55 PM
I've looked into the Johnson City Home Depot. they aren't carrying Yardright but some other brand I've never heard of and no information is available about silicate or other contents. I even checked the HD in Boca Raton since that's where I am while on vacation with the same results. I went on the Yardright website and asked them to send me a list of local distributors and they have never responded. I'm running out of ideas. I have half an idea to fill up bags with Florida beach sand and cart it up north. As it is I have collected a bunch of washed up coral rock (not live) which I will be shlepping home for my new tank.

SuzLucky
02/26/2006, 02:17 PM
I got mine at the Home Depot in Syracuse, but that was a while ago, a long while ago.

cknowlto
02/26/2006, 03:19 PM
Chase Pitkin in Webster had some last I knew. I bought about 10 bags last time I was there. Not sure if they still have any or not.

By the way, watch out for locally collected rock from Florida.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/02/060223083905.htm

As they do now, sediments rich in phosphorus historically dominated Florida's central and northern coastal areas above the Palm Beach County line. In the past, Lapointe says, naturally high levels of phosphorus would have set the northern coral boundary in Florida above which seaweed is dominant. Further south, the sediments are predominately carbonates, which react with phosphorus to significantly reduce levels of the nutrient in the water.

drbronx
02/26/2006, 05:03 PM
Thanx for the vine cknowlto. All my rock has been collected south of Palm Beach County. All rock is from Broward County and south to the Keys. Interesting to know nonetheless. I've been collecting rock from this area over the past couple of years and haven't had phosphorous problems. If the Chase Pitkin in Webster still has tropical sand, please let us know. By the way, where in creation is Webster? Anybody know if there are Chase Pitkins closer to Binghamton?

zanclus
02/26/2006, 06:28 PM
I bought 5 bags today. it was the last they had till spring.

St.james of reefdom
02/27/2006, 09:17 AM
Alot of the Chase Pitkins closed. The one in Big Flats close the end of jan. 06. so double check to see if they are still open..There is one in Canandaigua I think is still open.. but not sure...
John where did you get your sand ?

dalbrecht
02/27/2006, 09:21 AM
You may need to wait a month or two. The stores in rochester are just starting to get together for spring/summer.

zanclus
02/27/2006, 09:25 AM
I could tell ya Jim but then i'd have to kill ya.....