PDA

View Full Version : Metal halide lightiing decision. Please Help.

landragon
02/26/2006, 10:15 AM
I have the opportunity to get a set of 2 250 MH fromhamilton for very cheap. I have a choice of bulbs. Should I go for 10000k or 14000k? I plan to keep mostly high light softies and lps with a couple sps in there for garnish. I also have a clam, a derasa. I currently have 6 t5ho but only use 4 most of the time. This is in a AllGlass 90. I can use some of the t5ho to supplement the MH.

I want a crisp white with good definition of color and a hint of blue.

Are the 14kk very blue? Do they wash out colors like reds and oranges? Do they get whiter after burnin? Would it be too blue with the t5 actinics?

Are the 10kk too yellow or red? Would t5ho tame them? I have 2 each of Actinic and Actinic+ by Geissman so I am flexible with the colors.

Thanks.

dwdenny
02/26/2006, 10:26 AM
Here is a thought that The Grim Reefer threw out one time. Use 20K MH with Aquablue T5 to get the growth or ever GE 6.5K for that matter. Just a thought. But I would probably go with 10k MH and VHO actinics or sense you have the T5 the blue+ blbs as supplements. HTH

Don Berry
02/26/2006, 11:02 AM
Are the SE or DE? What brand 14K bulb and ballast. The color defiently varies brand to brand. If you aren't sure I would go with 14K for a softie and lps tank. 250w 10K's can be too intense for some softies and lps.

landragon
02/26/2006, 05:28 PM
DWDenny : I actually allready thought of that but decided against it for now.
Don Berry : They are hamilton.