PDA

View Full Version : Star Polyp - how to cut to make it spread?

Coral Reefer TX
02/26/2006, 12:22 PM
I've got a new piece of Star Polyp on a small rock. New tank, it's the first coral to go in. Some of the polyp is hanging off the rock that it's on, and could easily be cut off. If I want to make it spread to another rock, should I just cut some off, and then rubber band it to another rock until it attaches?

Does it hurt it much to be out of the water for a few seconds?

Anything else I need to know?

Dubbin1
02/26/2006, 12:26 PM
Yup just cut it off and rubber band it to another rock.

Avi
02/26/2006, 12:41 PM
Yeah....you can cut it off using a one-sided razor blade and then use the rubberband if you can get it to hold on the rock where you want to place it for growth, or you can use a glob of Crazy Glue Gel. Put the glob of the glue gel on the back of the star polyp's encrustation, place that on the rock where you want it to grow and hold it for a minute or two. It should hold well and after a short amount of time...maybe 10 days or so it should be encrusting on to the rock itself.

Blindmelonbob
02/26/2006, 12:47 PM
Anything else I need to know?

Yes. If you don't want it to spread over every square inch of your tank, keep it isolated. Sincerely, it can get out of hand.

kingtoad
02/26/2006, 01:43 PM
Can you sell small peices?

I have green star polyps that are huge and cover an entire rock. I wonder if I could get money off of them and how much.