PDA

View Full Version : How many holes...

navajo
02/26/2006, 02:22 PM
Good afternoon all.

I am in the process of setting up a 200 GAL tank. It will be mostly fish and softies (Leathers, polyps, etc.) The specs are:

200 GAL (7x2x2) tank on the first floor
100 GAL Stock Trough Sump in the Basement
100 GAL Stock Trough Refugium also in the basement
100 GAL Stock Trough "settling tank" in the basement (For settling out the microbubbles before pumping back to the Main tank via an Iwaki MD70RLT).

I am also going to do a Closed Loop Manifold using a Sequence Hammerhead.

Couple of questions:

I am going to drill the back of the tank one evening this week and am planning on the following holes:

2 - 2" holes in the back top for the overflow to the sump
1 - 1" return hole for the Iwaki return from the sump
1 - 2" hole (approx. 8" down from the top) for the input/flood for the Hammerhead Closed loop and bring it's return over the top of the tank for the Manifold.

Here is a quick (ugly) pic of what I am thinking.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/navajo001/TANKHOLES.jpg

Please let me know if you have any suggestions, cautions, or ideas.

Thank you.

Boatwizard
02/26/2006, 03:43 PM
Use 2 inch for return. The amount of head coupled with the friction loss of a 1 inch will kill the return volume.
Add an underwater spray bar so the one stream isn't so strong.

WILDTHING
02/26/2006, 05:54 PM
Hey Tom,

trying to understand you overflow, are you doing a Calfo overflow? So the overflow box is kinda short but runs the entire lenght of the tank? If so then will you have your durso/standpipe sticking out in back of your tank?

colleen

navajo
02/26/2006, 07:04 PM
Well, Hey There yourself, Colleen!

Yes, I am going to attempt the Calfo Overflow. Was gonna take it all the way across the back of the tank, but decided to leave a gap in the middle for the return to come in.

I am HOPING that by using 2 2" overflow pipes to handle the 1500 or so GPH to the sump, it SHOULDN'T fill up the pipe and can stay away from the Durso AND the gurgling sound.

Think it'll work?

Also, to clarify the AWFUL picture...

Calfo Overflows with teeth cut in them and gutter guard over the tops to keep out the snails, 2 - 2" overflows to the basement sump (100 GAL Stock Trough) to an ASM G5 or 6 skimmer then returned via an Iwaki MD70RLT pump via 1.5" return line to the middle/top of the tank then "T'd" off with 45 elbows to be able to kind of direct water flow.

Closed loop will pull from about 8" below the surface through a 2" line through a Sequence Hammerhead pump back up via a 1.5" line to the manifold around the perimeter of the tank with 3/4 Loc-Line nozzles (approx 12 or so).

Is that about as clear as mud?

:D

thanks

WILDTHING
02/26/2006, 07:26 PM
I'm not sure that that will keep the gurgling sound from happening.....I think when I set up my tank I was using a pipe that was (I think) 1 in and was pushing less than 500gph through it and it still gurgled till I did a durso. But your 2 x2in pipes may be SO much bigger that it won't happen. Sorry I couldn't be more help, but wanted to mention it.

I really like your idea of the return t'd, it should give the back of your rockwork some nice flow.

So your manifold will be 1.5? How much will your Hammerhead be pushing through the closed loop?

colleen

navajo
02/26/2006, 07:59 PM
Yeah, I am not sure about the gurgling either. May wind up using Durso's. Was hoping for someone who has tried it to chime in.

As far as the Hammerhead, it SHOULD be pushing around 5000 gph to the manifold. Although I am now looking at maybe using flexible PVC instead of elbows to help it out. What do you think?

Thanks!

WILDTHING
02/26/2006, 08:41 PM
flexible PVC is some cool stuff. Never used it but I've seen it on some tanks. Planning to use it on my 200g. BTW I saw a thread just recently that mentioned popping it in an oven for a few to make it soft and more flexible to work with.

So best case scenario is 600gph per 3/4 in lockline nozzle, but because you will be reducing the pipe you will be adding friction and head so probably less per nozzle............I have a feeling that you may have to cap off a few of your lines to get better flow to the ones you keep open. My return is someplace around 500gph and its not very strong.........

navajo
02/26/2006, 09:12 PM
But, as far as downsizing the pipe, the Hammerhead is a 1.5" intake and a 1.5" output. So I was figuring that I go with 2" intake to prevent cavitation (ala Calfo) and then the "normal" size (1.5") return. I realize that that still makes it around 416 GPH per nozzle, but that's a LOT of water movement and since we're not looking for any Laminar Flow, isn't that a good thing?

WILDTHING
02/26/2006, 09:27 PM
hmmmmmmmm, sorry I take it back.lol I just checked another thread of someone doing the same thing as you and he actually reduced it down to 1in and used 12 nozzles and he had nice flow in the tank. Here is his thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=589483

So I think you are right it should be just fine. I also forgot to take into account that you will be having 12 nozzles!!! LOL each producing 400plus gph! That should be just enough flow to squeak by.:rolleye1: :lol: :lol:

navajo
02/27/2006, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the link Colleen.

Still, do you (or anyone else) think the hole numbers/placements are good?

Thanks