PDA

View Full Version : max. size for percula?

Kigs
02/26/2006, 11:50 PM
how big will true perculas get? inch wise.

gduconn
02/27/2006, 12:25 AM
not much bigger than 3 inches- if they get that big. It also can depend on the size of tank they are in... a smaller tank generally results in smaller fish as their growth is kinda 'stunted' to the smaller tank

JHardman
02/27/2006, 02:55 PM
No, tank size has nothing to do with the size of the fish, that is another old wives tale.

I have a mature WC female A. percula that is over 5" nose to tip of tale.

Most of the mature (aka spawing) female A. perulca I have had or seen have been in the 3" to 4" range (nose to tip of tale). With the males being 50% or less the size of the female.

gduconn
02/27/2006, 03:10 PM
guess I'm an old wife then but my 24 bow front has had clowns in there for over two years and the female is just under two inches and the male is about an inch, but my 80 gallon display has had WC for three years and are three and almost 2 inches respectively... I've heard that among other hobbyists as well

criccio
02/27/2006, 03:28 PM
John, is there a time frame that a clown will fully develop within depending on feedings and excluding sexual changes?

Thanks, Chris

JHardman
02/27/2006, 07:01 PM
Hi Chris

I have yet to see a female A. percula that has reached that 4"+ range that is not at least 5-10 years old.

There is also a BIG wild card here. Clownfish change size based on social interaction. Frankly at this point I am ready to take back "A single clownfish kept by it's self will become female". There is a lot more going on here that we can see with a few observations.

I will be posting in the next couple of months on such things in depth, but since this is such a complex subject, you are going to have to hang in there, lots and lots to put together.

criccio
02/28/2006, 08:31 AM
Great, I look forward to it.