PDA

View Full Version : 16 gal Lighting question??

quietstorm
02/27/2006, 06:54 AM
Hello RC Swimmers,

I have a quick question about the proper lighting for my tank. I was wondering if the current bulb I am using is appropriate, also how long should I run the lights for a tank my size. I currently have a coralife 50/50(50% natural daylight 6000k), and (50% actinic blue fluorescent) 15 watts. I usually run the lights about 4-6 hours daily. Is this enough light for my inverts?, or do I need to run them longer? Ammonia/Nitrite~0, Nitrate~ between15-20, PH~8.3, and salinity~ 1.025. Here is my setup so far:

16 gal bow
17 lbs LR
20 lbs bio-active argonite LS

1 cleaner shrimp (skunk)
1 emerald crab
1 decorator crab
5 snails (margarita/turbo mix so far)

I have had the tank up an running for a lil over a month and do not have much algea growth if any. Is this due to lack of sufficient lighting or a time process. There is a sheild between the bulb and water. If you have any comments or suggestions, please fell free to share. Thanks Again!

:bum:

Pandora
02/27/2006, 07:47 AM
Hi quietstorm--

Sounds like you're doing fine, to me. You don't have any photosynthetic animals as far as I can see--the shrimp, crabs, snails and live rock don't require any special lights to grow. The lighting is only a problem if you are planning for other things, like corals, anemones or photosynthetic gorgonians later (in which case, may want to consider an upgrade from normal output fluorescents). If you're not, I'd say you're right on track! No one actually wants to have algae grow, unless it's the desirable type, like coraline (the purple stuff) or macroalgae. Good luck!

quietstorm
02/27/2006, 07:58 AM
Thanks for the info Pandora. I am just going to keep the tank as an FOWLR. No big upgrades but the fish. I do plan on obtaining another tank in the near future though. Thanks again!

:bum:

Pandora
02/27/2006, 11:42 AM
No problem, quietstorm! I think most people new to the hobby would kill to have your "lack of algae `problem'". You may however, see a little more growing as it nears the 3 month stage.

Come visit us at WAMAS.org sometime, since you're from Alexandria!

And on getting a second tank... yup, that's how it starts! Just watch out, you'll turn into one of us wackos before you know it...:wildone: