PDA

View Full Version : Marineland..........Grand Reopening

Ocnreef
02/27/2006, 10:10 AM
FYI......
Marineland is having a Grand Reopening this weekend with addission being only $1.00 per person. For that price, it would be worth a trip to see the changes they have made. We will be heading down.

SSweet1
02/27/2006, 10:22 AM
Wow how cool I think I will go also. I hope they still have that electric eel display that was really neat to look at. Do you need to pre purchase the tickets? Thanks for the info, Carrie

nikonosis
02/27/2006, 12:36 PM
do they actually have any reef tanks or anything along those lines. Its been so long since i was there i don't remember anything about that place. Their web page only has stuff about swimming with the dolphins and i sure don't care about doing that.

Ocnreef
02/27/2006, 02:20 PM
I tried calling their information number and all I got was an answering machine with the conituious loop of choices.....select one for...select two for...

It never put me through to a person. From the website it looks like they are focusing on the Dolphin experiences. (www.marineland.net)

Does anyone else know what they have to offer besides the DOlphin experiences?

joseph
02/27/2006, 03:06 PM
When I was there about 3 years ago they had a three foot shark in a four foot long tank. The closest thing they had to a reef tank was a tank full of red mushrooms. It was a disappointment at best. I hope things have changed.

nikonosis
02/27/2006, 04:05 PM
as far as i can tell they are opening a dolphin conservation thing at the end of feb. That sure doesn't interest me. Where did you see they are having a grand reopening and why is jacksonville one of the only major cities in the usa that doesn't have a large aquarium?

krismist
02/27/2006, 04:59 PM
I'm planning on going on Sat. I can't wait to see the new park

reefkeeps
02/27/2006, 07:34 PM
worth a bump

Mr James
02/28/2006, 08:17 AM
Hey, I just moved from Palm Coast up here to the panhandle. I visited Marineland a few times and I hate to say it, but I thought it was a joke. At the time of my visit, the only display open was the dolphin exhibits. No fish, no small tanks and no behind the scenes. NOW, if this grand opening is something different, then so be it. I even wrote a letter to Jim Jacoby (new owner of Marineland) and asked a few questions. No response as usual. I think Marineland has great potential, but even the workers there say it will be some time before anything else opens. Please, call before you go. My family was very disappointed, and we only lived 10 minutes from the place.

nikonosis
02/28/2006, 11:07 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6846284#post6846284 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mr James
Hey, I just moved from Palm Coast up here to the panhandle. I visited Marineland a few times and I hate to say it, but I thought it was a joke. At the time of my visit, the only display open was the dolphin exhibits. No fish, no small tanks and no behind the scenes. NOW, if this grand opening is something different, then so be it. I even wrote a letter to Jim Jacoby (new owner of Marineland) and asked a few questions. No response as usual. I think Marineland has great potential, but even the workers there say it will be some time before anything else opens. Please, call before you go. My family was very disappointed, and we only lived 10 minutes from the place.

Thats how i feel but i live a good hour drive from there.

PelagicMagic
02/28/2006, 02:45 PM
I can't wait for the grand re-closing

Ikaria
02/28/2006, 02:53 PM
Seems like they just sold off all their dolphins not too long ago. I can't imagine them having anything worth the drive. If I was to go anywhere it would be to the alligator farm.

tbass
03/01/2006, 10:46 PM
just rode past there last weekend and it look like they were getting ready to build houses in that area ? Maybe when marineland opened of the first time it was a must see park, but now you have the atlanta aquarium and florida aquarium and other that are so much more worthy of your time and MONEY .

Mr James
03/02/2006, 06:59 AM
I was told they were going to build "exclusive condos" across the street. Condo's, near the ocean, that's a new idea. I paid my $5.00 to get in and asked for a guided (no need for a tour, just someone to walk with me), behind the scenes. Nobody was interested. But did you see those skimmers on the north side of the complex. I darned near swerved off the road when I saw them. We were coming back from Cresent Beach and my wife said "WHAT??". I pulled over and said look at those. She thought I was looking at a bikini clad babe or something. Then she saw them. She said "uh oh, looks like you'll be hanging around here this summer".

Hey, if you want to see who owns it now, Google Jim Jacoby. He also owns a portion of Marathon Key and plans to do a Walt Smith (if you know who he is and what he does) type of thing in the keys. There is talk of a new live rock source.