PDA

View Full Version : Fitting to fit into the ID of 1.5" pipe

BJJ
02/27/2006, 01:40 PM
I am looking to see if anyone has used a PVC fitting to fint into the inside diameter of a 1.5" pipe. I have to change my drain plumbing coming off the back of the overflow. The problem is, the elbow is butting up to the end of the bulkhead so when I cut the pipe there is no nipple to connect a fitting. AND, replacing the bulkhead means removing on of the galss panes that make up the overflow. Apparently when the overflow was made by my LFS, they installed the bulkhead then constructed the box overflow not leaving enough room to get the bulkhead out passed the euro-bracing.:mad:

schristi69
02/27/2006, 03:59 PM
Your not going to find one unless you make it. All PVC fittings are designed for the pipe to fit inside of them. I am confused by your description. Have a pic or drawing? If you have an elbow up against the bulkhead you should be able to connect the 2 with a piece of comparable pipe. Pipe goes inside of bulkhead and inside of elbow.

geo
02/27/2006, 04:18 PM
Actually they do make an internal pipe coupling. They slide and glue into the pipe so it does reduce the inside diameter of the pipe by 14". www.savko.com sells them. You will most likely have to call. I picked one up for an 1 1/2" pipe last week.

BJJ
02/27/2006, 05:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6840925#post6840925 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by schristi69
Your not going to find one unless you make it. All PVC fittings are designed for the pipe to fit inside of them. I am confused by your description. Have a pic or drawing? If you have an elbow up against the bulkhead you should be able to connect the 2 with a piece of comparable pipe. Pipe goes inside of bulkhead and inside of elbow.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/35561OVERFLOW-1.JPG

As you can see by cutting the pipe nipple there isnt enough nipple left to connect a standard fitting.

GEO, thats great news... I will look into that. That might be exacly what Im looking for.

schristi69
02/27/2006, 11:52 PM
Now I see. This is why most replace slip type bulkheads with threaded ones. Never know when you wnat to change things.

Internal pipe couplings. Learn something new everyday. But then again, I cannot even find a PVC gate valve in this town.