PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Various Things

Travis L. Stevens
02/27/2006, 03:36 PM
I'm looking for

(1) 65w squarepin Actinic PC. New or Used. Current brand prefered, but not necessary
(1 or 2) Green Chromis. Any size. I just feel like my two are lonely.

kcgor
02/27/2006, 06:39 PM
Travis... I got to Petco and buy Green Chromis.. they sell them for arould 3 or 4 bucks.. Can't beat that price...

Casey

sadsak
02/27/2006, 08:29 PM
Petco I think you would be getting what you pay for... I have never seen a National chain have quality marine fish or corals. Most of the time a newbie if that, takes care of the fish. I would look local. Quality counts when looking for a specimen for your own tank or at least it does to me.

kcgor
02/27/2006, 08:35 PM
We are talking about Green Chromis... Are you serious?

Petco is Local...

hiflykitty
02/27/2006, 09:32 PM
Exotic Aquatics sells chromis for $4 each. I think he may still have a few.

hiflykitty
02/27/2006, 09:37 PM
Wet Pets by steve also has chromis for about $4 as well.

kcgor
02/27/2006, 09:57 PM
See... Everyone has Chromis dirt cheap... I found a Chromis under the cushions in my couch... I found another under the seats in my truck.. and one more In the back yard with my metal detector.. They are everywhere.

Youngsilver
02/28/2006, 02:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6844130#post6844130 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kcgor
See... Everyone has Chromis dirt cheap... I found a Chromis under the cushions in my couch... I found another under the seats in my truck.. and one more In the back yard with my metal detector.. They are everywhere.

HAHAHA

aquaphile
02/28/2006, 07:24 AM
travis, this might be going out on a limb here but i was in aqua mart the other day here in stilly and he had some green chromis, steve might say your a glutton for punishment though, lol

Youngsilver
02/28/2006, 07:44 AM
hey i bought a clown from him that lasted longer then he should have. :P

Travis L. Stevens
02/28/2006, 08:29 AM
I was just trying to see if someone had a tank that is coming down, if their chromis were picking on each other, or just didn't want to have them anymore. I would rather buy from an aquarist first to give them a good home. Then would come a LFS. And finally death before someplace like Petco :D

aquaphile
02/28/2006, 01:22 PM
i bought a pair of clowns there last saturday and they are looking pretty good we'll just have to see how long that lasts lol

pwhitby
02/28/2006, 02:20 PM
let me know if you find a good source travis....i want a couple....maybe 30.

Travis L. Stevens
02/28/2006, 02:22 PM
You can try Petco :lmao: jk.

I'll keep an eye out.

kcgor
02/28/2006, 04:50 PM
Why are you dogging Petco.. I would buy anything there but a Chromis or 2 or 10.. Do you hate Walmart too??? Is this a conspiracy thing? Something to do with "Stickin to the man"? Is Big Brother watching us? Do you have a chip in your head? :)

Travis L. Stevens
02/28/2006, 04:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6849956#post6849956 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kcgor
Why are you dogging Petco.. I would buy anything there but a Chromis or 2 or 10.. Do you hate Walmart too??? Is this a conspiracy thing? Something to do with "Stickin to the man"? Is Big Brother watching us? Do you have a chip in your head? :)

:D That reminds me of an old high school teacher. Truthfully, no I don't like Petco, Petsmart, or Walmart. :) I really think that Petco is irresposibly stocking livestock and hiring people that do not know enough about the hobby. In turn, they will give bad advice to a new hobbyist, and then the new hobbyist gets fed up with the hobby and gives it bad name just because someone told someone that having a 6" Volitan Lionfish would be okay with a 2" Percula Clownfish. Sure, they might have other really good stuff and more knowledgable staff that deal with other animals, but from my experience and many others, the employees in the fish section know absolutely nothing about the saltwater side though they may know a thing or two about freshwater. That's just how I feel about it. They aren't necessarily doing a dis-service, but just giving the hobby a bad rap. ;)

scott0615
02/28/2006, 11:05 PM
The problem with any full line retailer is that they have to know a little about everything [dogs, cats, gerbils, lizards, etc] and they know a lot about nothing except what they are interested in [yeah I got a tank]. How do you get knowledgable advice from a 17 year old kid???? You can't go to school for aquariumology, however you can get a marine biology degree and learn lots about the open ocean. No one educates specifically on the closed system. That being said, the beauty of this forum is we all learn from experience. Experience in this hobby usually costs tons of cash - Dude lesson for today ----- don't put a 6" Lionfish with 2" Clownfish. Sound familiar to anyone?????????????

scott0615
02/28/2006, 11:07 PM
By the way - IMO nationwide chains kill small business. Lot at the small towns around the country WallllyWorld has moved into. Unemployment is up in these communities.

scott0615
02/28/2006, 11:09 PM
Sorry - "Look at the small towns" - been at the shop for 15 hours now - THANKS SOUTHWEST FOR BUMPING YET ANOTHER 13 BOXES!

Travis L. Stevens
03/01/2006, 08:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6853187#post6853187 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by scott0615
The problem with any full line retailer is that they have to know a little about everything [dogs, cats, gerbils, lizards, etc] and they know a lot about nothing except what they are interested in [yeah I got a tank]. How do you get knowledgable advice from a 17 year old kid???? You can't go to school for aquariumology, however you can get a marine biology degree and learn lots about the open ocean. No one educates specifically on the closed system. That being said, the beauty of this forum is we all learn from experience. Experience in this hobby usually costs tons of cash - Dude lesson for today ----- don't put a 6" Lionfish with 2" Clownfish. Sound familiar to anyone?????????????

---------

By the way - IMO nationwide chains kill small business. Lot at the small towns around the country WallllyWorld has moved into. Unemployment is up in these communities.

---------

Sorry - "Look at the small towns" - been at the shop for 15 hours now - THANKS SOUTHWEST FOR BUMPING YET ANOTHER 13 BOXES!

Who said that it needed to be a requirement before one is hired to be educated. Isn't that what on the job training is for? Things could easily be tought in a day up to a week course. But will national chains ever adopt the thought that consumers appreciate a well educated employee over one that pulls BS out of his or her rear? No. It's too expensive, and they truly do not care enough about an animal's well being. Oh, and don't assume that I took the advice from an uneducated source and placed a lionfish with a clownfish. Even you know me better than that. ;)

This isn't necessarily an opinion. It's the hard truth. A chain can sell things in bulk with a low price gets the same profit that a single store can get by selling a few at a decent or high price. Couple that with a successful chain where they expand their stock to various products, and you simply overwhelm the small business with the "convenience" of cheap prices, large amounts of stock, and a wide range of items. This is why I do what I can to shop local and from small business. I would rather have the ease of knowing that the profit that a business makes goes to the workers and not a CEO or company executive who sits behind a desk and messes around, because I know what it is like to be down on your luck like a store could be when business is slow and then getting that extra dollar or two can really make the difference. But when it comes to shopping for animals, I have their health and care in mind. I shop from owners first, then aquaculture, then wild caught from local shops.

capnskunk
03/01/2006, 09:33 AM
So your saying your job is like a CEO's? :D Because you sure do have a lot of time to be writing to have a so called "Bud Job." :beer:

Just kidding.

Travis L. Stevens
03/01/2006, 09:36 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6855079#post6855079 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capnskunk
So your saying your job is like a CEO's? :D Because you sure do have a lot of time to be writing to have a so called "Bud Job." :beer:

Just kidding.

In truth, all too much like a CEO just without the pay or benefits. Luckily though, I'm not in the warehouse side. :rollface: ;)

Travis L. Stevens
03/03/2006, 01:21 PM
It only took me two days to remember, but I remember now. Here is the corrected list

1 or 2 Green Chromis
65w Actinic Squarepin PC (Current brand prefered)
5g Bucket Lids
Mag 7 Impeller OR will Trade Mag 5 for a Mag 7

aquaphile
03/03/2006, 07:07 PM
hey travis send me a pm, i have a mag 7 impeller and cap, used about 20 minutes, maybe we can work a trade out for some frags ;)

Travis L. Stevens
03/17/2006, 02:23 PM
Alright, I'm still looking for some 5g bucket lids that no one is using. Now I'm looking for some dead fiji base rock pieces about the size of your fist.

I also have a Mag 5 Impeller and a Cap that goes over it for sale or trade. PM with offers.