PDA

View Full Version : Ritteri Stays on Glass

aiber
02/27/2006, 09:46 PM
All of a sudden my Ritteri has decided to stay on the glass. This has been occuring now for about a month. He is also moving back and forth along the glass (side never the front). Besides that, he seems healthy and opens up and eats well.

Does anyone know what may be going on? My parameters seem fine and water changes are done regularly..

A. Iber

Gary Majchrzak
02/28/2006, 04:51 AM
You need to make a rock stack in the middle of the aquarium and place the mag anemone on top of it. ;)

maww
02/28/2006, 06:14 AM
My experience with these is that they prefer a fairly smooth surface for attachment. This is why I think they move onto the glass (rather than looking for higher light/flow). If the live rock is too craggy/bumpy they are constantly on the move. Mine are on pieces of elkhorn shelf rock, set on the top of my live rock stacks. The three I have (4months, 1 year and 2.5 years) stay put on this rock, but wander if placed onto the standard, ie fiji/kaelini/whatever rock.

aiber
02/28/2006, 06:36 AM
That makes sense. My rock is very bumpy Haitain Rock. I may try to move a few rocks around a look for one that is smooth.

How do I move a Ritteri w/o hurting it? He is on the glass pretty good....

Albert

catastrofe
02/28/2006, 07:33 AM
maww, very impressive Magnifica success rate.

It's so hard to find a healthy specimen. . .frankly, I think that's the single most determining factor with this species.

I think I may have finally found a keeper myself. It's been in my tank going on 3 weeks, eats every day (1/2 a silversides), and has yet to gape or "spill its guts". Mouth is consistently tight and when it excretes it "squeezes" the food remnants out.

It's about 12" directly under a 250DE 14K lamp at the top of a rock pile, although the rocks are very rough/bumpy. It doesn't seem to mind, as it hasn't moved at all. I've got good flow, with 1/2 my MAG12 return and the output from a Seio M620 meeting right over the top of it. This creates a "swirling" motion, somewhat similar to wave action.

Keeping my fingers crossed. . .

:D

aiber
02/28/2006, 10:23 AM
What is this you jumping in MY thread???

lol...

Anyone have an answer for moving a Ritteri? I have had it since December and it's doing excellent.

A. Iber

catastrofe
02/28/2006, 10:34 AM
:D

I figured a fellow Floridian wouldn't mind!! I live in St. Louis now, but grew up in Hollywood.

Jadran
03/08/2006, 05:08 AM
How do I move a Ritteri w/o hurting it?

you can try with ice cube.. Put ice cube in plastic bag (so that you don't expose anemone to FW) and gently brush ice bag against anemones attached basal disc (foot if you wish).. Anemone should be annoyed by cold ice and retract slowly... continue to do so till you can put your fingers under it.. its a long procedure but it always worked fine for me.. ;)

aiber
03/08/2006, 08:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6907230#post6907230 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jadran
How do I move a Ritteri w/o hurting it?

you can try with ice cube.. Put ice cube in plastic bag (so that you don't expose anemone to FW) and gently brush ice bag against anemones attached basal disc (foot if you wish).. Anemone should be annoyed by cold ice and retract slowly... continue to do so till you can put your fingers under it.. its a long procedure but it always worked fine for me.. ;)

Interesting idea! However, luckily the Ritteri is back on a rock and seem pretty happy. I have now had him for 4 months....

aiber