PDA

View Full Version : Converting FOWL to Reef

mojotank
02/27/2006, 10:00 PM
I am thinking about converting my FOWL tank to a reef tank. While doing some of my research my LFS informed me that I will experience algea problems when converting do to the increase in lighting requirements. Right now I have NFO bulbs running 120 watts and thinking about ordering a Coralife or Outer Orbit complete hood, which puts me inthe range of 530 watts. Is this true that I will do battle with algea, which would require me to scrub rocks and frequent water changes?

The internet is a great source of information, but I would still like to have a good old hard cover book for references. Any recommendations, I'm interested in general maintenance information about different LPS and SPS, compatability and basic up keep?

Anemonebuff
02/27/2006, 10:05 PM
The Reef Aquarium Vol's 1,2,& 3 by Delbeek and Sprung.

Natural Reef Aquariums by Tullock

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Fenner

If you do it right you will usually experience a "cycle" at first, by getting some algae and diatoms. But it subsides and you have a nice reef tank. Ask more questions and read some books before making the change. Haste makes waste.

mybug
02/28/2006, 12:00 PM
I moved from FOWLR running under 40W of NO to a Reef under 220W of T5 and experienced diatoms for the first time and hair algae. The diatoms are now gone but I'm still fighting the hair algae.

I think it is par for the course given the situation.

Expecting my cleaning crew and flow to resolve. In addition to my regiment of PWCs that is.

mojotank
02/28/2006, 09:15 PM
How long ago did you convert you tank? Did you just turn your lights on or gradually increase the time interval?

iCam
02/28/2006, 09:17 PM
Did you ever use medications for your fish?

mojotank
02/28/2006, 09:38 PM
Yes, but it was a few years back. My current tank has been running well for the past 4 years.

theop
02/28/2006, 09:44 PM
I agree with those book choices.

If you are using RO/DI water already, then you shouldn't have too much algae problems. If not, you might have a problem with phosphates and algae.

Also, what is your filtration and your current nitrates? If you don't already, consider some live rock.

iCam
02/28/2006, 09:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6852543#post6852543 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mojotank
Yes, but it was a few years back. My current tank has been running well for the past 4 years.

What medications? Some, like copper, will stay in silicone seams (if you have a glass tank), live rock, substrate, et cetera, and can leach back out and cause some problems.

It's a bit off topic, but worth consideration.

bigfruits
03/01/2006, 09:02 AM
Aquarium Corals : Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History (
by Eric H. Borneman

ACBlinky
03/01/2006, 01:57 PM
I've got a 65g that's in transition from FOWLR to reef ATM. I've had 300W PC on the tank from day one, and other than initial blooms of cyano and diatoms (both of which disappeared as quickly as they came) there are no algae problems. I wouldn't worry too much, just feed lightly and keep NO3 and PO4 to a minimum and keep a few turbos around and things should be fine :)

OnTheReef
03/01/2006, 03:40 PM
Those books are excellent and so is this one:
"Algae: A Problem Solver Guide" by Julian Sprung.