PDA

View Full Version : opinions on baffles....

nemofish2217
02/28/2006, 01:11 AM
what are you guys' opinions on baffles in a sump/fuge? Right now i have a 10 gallon sump/fuge with dividers, sort of baffles in it... i am going to get a rubbermaid storage container so the i will have more volume.... installing baffles would be difficult becuase the plastive will bow under the water pressure, pulling the silicone away from the plastic. How important are baffles? i.e. what is their purpose? is it just to control micro bubbles? I was thinking about just throwing LR rubble, chaeto, skimmer, heater, and pump down in the sump and let it be....what do you guys think?

Blown 346
02/28/2006, 01:35 AM
The purpose for baffles is to slow down the water flow and to stop or cut back on bubbles.
For a fuge the flow speed is a big issue, you dont want any more than 600 GPH going thru the sump or fuge, since the pods and such wouldnt be able to populate and would just constantly be swept away.

nemofish2217
02/28/2006, 02:02 AM
can LR rubble act as a baffle? i am trying to find ways around baffles, because i dont think they will work in the rubbermaid container....

nemofish2217
02/28/2006, 08:07 AM
bump....

1package
02/28/2006, 08:21 AM
If you are using the baffles as a bubble trap they definitely help although if I had of had my ASM skimmer prior to sump design, I would have skipped the bubble trap and better utilized the space. The skimmers with the foam sponge over the water return do a great job at dispersing bubbles, plus they are already on the top of the water.

Another way if to just lean a piece of lexan or something against your return pump intake.

If you use the prefilter on the return that works well also.

A sock on the drain line from the tank or some floss attached to the drain line will also help with the bubbles coming from the overflow.

nemofish2217
02/28/2006, 08:37 AM
well, im just not sure what to do.... i dont think i can do baffles in a rubbermaid container because the rubbermaid is flexible and will not hold the seal.... i was just kind of trying to find a way around them... any other suggestions? any one else deal with this?

tygger
02/28/2006, 12:06 PM
Baffles are also used to keep the water level stable. eg. for your protein skimmer