PDA

View Full Version : Calcium reactor pump

Reefugee
02/28/2006, 02:12 AM
Hello,

The Mag 2 pump on my calcium reactor died yesterday. I took it apart today - and was unable to make it work reliably. I don't know if it's the impeller that's bad or what - but I rather not order an impeller and find out it's something else. I am going place an order for a replacement pump - but it may take a few days before it arrives. While I am waiting for the new pump to arrive - is there anything special I should be concern about? I do have some CaCl - should I dose my tank? What about the Alk?

This has been a bad week of reefing for me. On Sunday - I found my bulkhead leaking because it had become loose. Ended up flooding the bottom of my stand. All the original box that my test kit were in were mush. Sigh....

Huy - since I have to take the reactor apart - anyway I can pick up some calcium reactor media from you? When you take the top off, how do you guarantee it's will be water tight when you put it back together? BTW - it's a MRC CR-1 - which has the flange top with a the nylon screws.

http://www.myreefcreations.com/castandard.htm

Thanks
Minh

Jesus
02/28/2006, 04:26 AM
I think you dose with 2 part ESV. One buffer and the other Cal. This will keep your Alk and Cal in check while waiting the parts to arrive.

jesus

Reefugee
02/28/2006, 08:03 AM
Jesus - will it be absolutely necessary to dose while the Ca reactor is offline for about a week? I don'thave the EVS two part dose, but I do have some CaCl and some Alk buffer. I guess I need to learn how to use those two items tomorrow. :D Errr... I meant today.

pepe.king.prawn
02/28/2006, 12:20 PM
I'd say... unless you have a heavily stocked SPS tank and usually run your reactor at full blast, you'll probably be just fine for a week. I thought Yourreef.com sells mag drives for a good price, no? says $36 on his website, $1 more than marinedepot.com, but I don't know if he stocks them or what. Anyhow, I'm trying to think of a way you could test the rest of the pump, but I'm not sure. I run a Mag3 externally on my reactor and haven't had problems, though it does run pretty hot. Maybe unscrew the back of the pump and look for any heat damage in the epoxy filled region of the pump coils or anywhere else on the pump. Are both rubber ends of the pump shaft in tact? Just a couple thing that can help diagnose problems, hope this helps. good luck.

Reefugee
02/28/2006, 12:28 PM
I just ordered it from Marine Depot. It should be here in a day or two.

The Mag 2 was taken apart. Everything looked great. The problem is that it would start up a few times, and then die. Like I said - I could have ordered a new shaft and hoped it fixed the problem, but for $35, I might as well just get a new pump.

Minh

user48953
02/28/2006, 01:34 PM
Minh.. all of us have one time or another had a "bad week" :)

What was wrong with the pump? impellor thrashed? this is actually common for Ca reactors.. the Ehiem in my BAS is not balanced anymore and needs to be replaced soon.. since i can't get the impellor alone cheaply, i'm waiting for the whole pump to die..

Dowflake and Baking Soda is all you need while your reactor is down.. CaCl will manage your Ca and backing soda will manage your Alk.. did you ever get that calculator i sent to your email? it does measurements for both.

I have plenty of ARM left, just let me know when/how you want to pick it up.. as for the top flange, just use good of fashion elbow grease! be sure that the rubber O-ring and slot is clear of all media/water, and tighten slowly in a star pattern.. finger tight is all you need as the seal is form by the O-ring being compressed.

Reefugee
02/28/2006, 02:44 PM
Huy -

Hopefully the new pump will be here either tomorrow or the following day. I ordered it from Marine Depot, and they usually have things here in a day or two. While I was at it, I went ahead and ordered the Mg test kit and a gallon ESV V-Ionic Magnesium (per Jesus' recommendation).

Where would be the best place to meet you for the ARM?

user48953
02/28/2006, 04:02 PM
Epsom salt is a good cheap substitute to balance out Mg; can't beat $2.50 for a half gallon container..

i work in rancho til about 4:30ish throughout the week.. what's your schedule this week?

delusions
02/28/2006, 07:02 PM
Minh - did you find out what was wrong with your Mag2? It not, could I take a look at it? I have a CR1 also and am curious.

Also, addressing your water tight question, make sure the rubber gasket is in there and tighten like no other. I had to tighten it with a wrench (be careful though) to the point where the two pieces of acrylic were touching. This was past the point where I could hand tighten it. HTH