PDA

View Full Version : setting up new tank have ?'s

newnano
02/28/2006, 01:13 PM
im planning on getting together everything i need for my new tank arrival. im putting together a 60 gallon cube. 24x24x25. getting the tank from glasscages. i know some dont care for them but i have faith.
im going to build a horizontal overflow about 16" long. i will have one 1.5" bulkhead going to my sump (going to make the stand about 30" wide so i can get a 15 gallon in there). i was thinking of putting the 90 degree elbow close to the bottom of the overflow to avoid snails from being able to go down but not so much that it slows the water. any thoughts on that?
planning on running a euro reef cs5-20 in the sump. will use a mag 9.5 for the return pump. that will be plumped straight up and will go over the overflow with lockline.
now for the closed loop. i would love to hear any suggestions. i plan on having a 1" bulkhead for the intake going down about 3-4 feet to my pump . was thinking of the Panworld 100px-x (1250gph).? i need a pump with 1" in/outlet. from the pump i will be going up with 1in pvc to a Y connector that will feed back to two 1" bulkheads on the sides of the tank. in the tank those will be split into two 3/4" lockline. so there will be total of 5 - 3/4" locklines feeding into the tank hopefully completely avoiding the need for powerheads. any thoughts?

newnano
02/28/2006, 08:25 PM
anyone have any ideas?

dwdenny
02/28/2006, 08:33 PM
Well I think one 1.5" will be fine but I like two just in case for the over flow. With a 90 in the overflow it will be loud. On mine I have two 1" bulkheads with full length overflow. I think the rest is fine as far as the sump return. If you are worried bout snails and stuff use a screen on the bulkhead. On the CLM that pump will be more then plenty but 1" is not going to be enough I feel to feed it. I would look at 1.5" min and 2" would be better. you dont want to starve the pump. I would look at 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" return lines then reduce at the very end to 1" then use 3/4" loc-line inside the tank. If you need a bulkhead I have a 2" S/T that I will sell you cheap and it is sch 80 not the standard ones. About $20 bulkhead on www.savko.com HTH

Doug

newnano
02/28/2006, 08:52 PM
thanks for you thoughts. i didnt think you could put a larger pipe than the size of the inlet? i thought that would cause cavitation? do you think the pump will be strong enough to get good flow?